DF64 adjustment dial mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mwynne

#1: Post by mwynne »

Not sure if there's any interest in this group, but figured I may as well share.

Background:
  • Our grinder stays tucked in corner of the counter due to space constraints. It's on felt feet to slide in and out, so it doesn't have the grip of the OEM rubber feet (which also marked up our counter real bad).
  • We both have pretty severe tendonitis/RSI.
  • The above points make it tough to adjust the grind size, especially going coarse to fine. It would turn fine with two hands on the adjustment dial, but the felt feet don't have enough grip. Turning with one hand while holding the machine stable with the other is hard/impossible.
  • Yes, the threads are cleaned and well lubed, it turns fine, it's an ergonomics issue.
  • As a side note I got a lot of negative, ableist pushback on the idea in the Facebook group. For the record I do not think someone needs to be disabled or injured to seek functional improvements in their equipment. Nor should anyone be expected to disclose personal details to justify their need or interest in these kind of modifications. Personally, I think it's an option that could be useful for a wide range of people.
So, I said to myself, maybe I can add a lever/grip to the adjustment dial so it can be operated with one hand, while holding the machine in place with the other. This is version 3, and it's not perfect, but it *is* well functional. Two holes tapped through the adjustment dial (I considered a retaining nut on the underside, there's room but for now the 6/32 threads are holding, a piece of dowel shaped to fit, and voila. I bought a second adjustment dial so that I wasn't worried about destroying my only working one - you might be able to see an extra drill hole, whoops.

Next thoughts:
  • Maybe add a mid-body handle for leverage. I currently just lean my other hand onto the flat base to keep it stable, which is fine, but a matching handle might be nice.
  • Make a handle out of nicer wood - ideally skateboards to match the rest of my coffee equipment.
  • Slap a fresh dial label sticker on this. I just noted Chemex, Pourover, and Espresso mid-points for the time being.
  • Maybe redo this on my original adjust dial to get the hole placement better... but not too likely.
Happy to share more photos/details if anyone is interested!

LMWDP #673

mikelipino

#2: Post by mikelipino »

I'm of the opinion that a mod is successful if it improves your experience. Sounds like your dial adjustment handle does just that, well done! I think a handle on the body would help you adjust the dial since it's on felt. Perhaps a pipe clamp around the body to mount the second handle? Then you wouldn't have to drill through the thick aluminum body.

mwynne (original poster)

#3: Post by mwynne (original poster) replying to mikelipino »

I was thinking about hose clamp at least to try it out before making any permanent changes, good call! And thanks!
LMWDP #673

canatto

#4: Post by canatto »

Very impressive and innovative mod, and in style.
But instead of a handle, I think you could perhaps press down with one hand on the bellow, or the upper burr carrier, to ease up some or all of the spring pressure against the dialing collar, then with the other hand, you could easily dial and set the grind size with little or no resistance/friction from the collar.

mwynne (original poster)

#5: Post by mwynne (original poster) replying to canatto »

I think yes and no.

You're spot on for going fine to a coarser setting.

One of the challenges when going from coarse to finer grinds is that the grinder needs to be running during the adjustment. There are enough residual grinds between the burrs that they prevent that adjustment unless the grinder is running to crush/clear them. At least in my experience - I think I've read the same from others, but maybe it's not universal.
LMWDP #673