Dark roast grinders... - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Davi-L (original poster)

#11: Post by Davi-L (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Who cares?
Pucks are compost.
Right on!
glad to put them in our pile outside.

I guess the conical vs flat burr for dark roast espresso is personal preference and what's on your counter at the time. I'm good with that.

I have a very minimal manual, non-spring, lever espresso machine on back order. I think the Strietman is polite.
I just do not want to hear the QM Alexia any more than I have to. A very big audio assault to my ears every day!

Now back to the grinder. I'll have to read all ~40 posts on tuning up the Vario. Sigh. I will pull my backup Braun burr grinder out of storage to keep up my attention span. No snickering in the peanut seats please.

The espresso grinder should not over power the coffee machine in appearance. This is a simple, yet elegant home, maybe 3-4 espresso a day.
Most grinders are down right ugly to the eyes. Yeah, the taste is what counts, but I have to look at the stinking thing every day.
My call, my home.

I think that's why Baratza products appeal to me. Vario, or maybe in the future a Sette Wi.

All this info is really appreciated.

D.

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

Davi-L wrote:I just do not want to hear the QM Alexia any more than I have to. A very big audio assault to my ears every day!
When I rebuilt my two 15 year old Vibiemme, I replaced the old 45watt pumps w 52 watters and paid proper attention to routing the plumbing. The Vibiemme were never loud, but now, while not quite small rotary quiet, they are nearly so. And I'm too lazy to work a lever :lol:

baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing »

Davi-L wrote:...
Most grinders are down right ugly to the eyes. ...
I have a Weber Key grinder on order for pretty much this reason alone. It will replace my current large conical Pharos, which is ... well, some might say "down right ugly." :lol:

(My Vario is for light roast espresso only, but it has the steel burrs and all the mods appropriate for single-dosing light roasts.)

For your Alexia, Quick Mill now makes a "pulsor" gizmo that makes a huge difference on both the level and tone of the sound of Ulka vibration pumps. It's an easy retrofit. For example, my Silvia went from 88dB to 80dB, and the tone no longer grates on my ears ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

If you have a simple elegant home and want a quiet conical grinder, how about an HG-2?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!