Daniel Wong Super Jolly Doserless Kit--Wow!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nonprophet

#1: Post by Nonprophet » Dec 29, 2019, 9:36 pm

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Daniel Wong with WYS [https://home-doserless.com/] for his wonderful design and great customer service. I ordered on Xmas day, and had the box--shipped from Taiwan--a mere two days later! The items were carefully boxed and packaged, the pieces were all there including a few spare magnets, protective film covering the shiny parts to protect them, the instructions were clear, and the product itself is superbly crafted and of high quality. Daniel communicated several times throughout the transaction including order confirmation and shipping confirmation, and honestly I just couldn't be happier! If only every transaction was even close to being this satisfactory. Highly recommend the product and the company, well done sir!
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl » Dec 30, 2019, 5:18 pm

thanks for this feedback, I've been wondering about losing the hopper for a while now (the thwacking gets boring)....recalling hefty price tags for conversion kits I did not really look for one and did not want to DIY the pieces. I'll order a kit for my Major, not for single dosing but to get rid of the thwacking and cleaning the inside of the hopper after each shot once and for all :D
LMWDP #483

Nonprophet

#3: Post by Nonprophet » replying to Marcelnl » Dec 30, 2019, 6:48 pm

Yep, I was tired of the thwacking for sure, but mostly it was a PITA to clear all the old grounds out after each grind to ensure the freshest shot possible. I'm putting 18g of beans in and getting 17.9 back out with the doserless mod, and, I can clearly see that the chute and bean hopper are clear of any stale grounds. Also, it's pretty common for me to do a few shots of different beans each morning and this makes it super easy to complete the switch. Lastly, the hopper cover is great--keeps the beans from popcorning and it has a small hole to blast with air in order to get all the grounds out.

LMWDP #522

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Marcelnl » Dec 31, 2019, 5:31 am

great result! I'll not likley change to single dosing but continue to use my mini hopper (with a days worth of beans).

edit: wow, he already shipped the kit...the wait is on :D
LMWDP #483

old442

#5: Post by old442 » Jan 01, 2020, 9:09 pm

Marcelnl wrote:thanks for this feedback, I've been wondering about losing the hopper for a while now (the thwacking gets boring)....recalling hefty price tags for conversion kits I did not really look for one and did not want to DIY the pieces. I'll order a kit for my Major, not for single dosing but to get rid of the thwacking and cleaning the inside of the hopper after each shot once and for all :D
Please let us know the results on the Major. I currently use a Major as my main grinder and wouldn't mind getting rid of the doser ~IF~ the grounds comes out as fluffy and lump free as they do with the doser. I use a Super Jolly when I have 2 espresso blends on hand and absolutely hate the clumps, not to mention how slow it is compared to the Major.
Kurt
LMWDP 114

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. » Jan 01, 2020, 10:31 pm

Looks like a much more affordable version of the Mazzer bag spout. https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-do ... less-spout Hopefully the grounds don't clump like they did with the factory spout.
LMWDP 267

tayloreley

#7: Post by tayloreley » Jan 06, 2020, 7:14 pm

old442 wrote:Please let us know the results on the Major. I currently use a Major as my main grinder and wouldn't mind getting rid of the doser ~IF~ the grounds comes out as fluffy and lump free as they do with the doser. I use a Super Jolly when I have 2 espresso blends on hand and absolutely hate the clumps, not to mention how slow it is compared to the Major.
I have this on my Major right now and, in my experience, they come out super clumpy. It seems like the doserless funnel is large enough that the grounds can slow down before getting to the PF where this chute is too short and the grounds come out at a really high rate. I have ended up grinding into a small bowl, WDT and using a funnel to load the PF. Not the workflow I was hoping for but I *hated* thwacking so I will take it.

Other than that, i can speak highly enough about Daniel and our interactions during my purchase process. Quick, informative responses and proactive communication regarding the international shipping/customs.

Nonprophet

#8: Post by Nonprophet » Jan 09, 2020, 2:07 pm

Depending upon which coffee I use, I do get some minor clumping, but, I use RDT in the hopper, and then dose into the portafilter using a dosing funnel and do WDT with a bamboo skewer. No more clumping than any other grinder that I've used.

LMWDP #522

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl » Jan 13, 2020, 8:25 am

It's installed, so we'll see how it fares w.r. clumping (I don't expect Major clumping issues :D with the SSP burrs )

The kit looks great, I only added some double sided adhesive foam tape around the opening in the grinder to close any minor gap.

edit: first grind, I got some minor, nothing that would not be resolved by some WDT or even just tamping. It indeed looks as if the closer distance between exit chute and PF is causing some clumping due to impact. No issue in my book.

I see only one flaw, and that lies within the user :mrgreen: At the moment I forget to hold a container below the spout too often :oops:
LMWDP #483

tayloreley

#10: Post by tayloreley » replying to Marcelnl » Jan 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

Interesting that you aren't experiencing much clumping. How developed is the roast that you are using? I would say the clumping i experienced was pretty significant.