Custom Mahlkonig EK43S Modifications

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bmccall »

I decided to put my free time to use and create a few custom parts for my EK43. I am not a machinist by trade (far from it), so they're certainly not perfect, but they work amazing!

Mod #1 - Stainless steel grounds chute

I found that the original grounds chute is too long and it makes it difficult to clean all the way up in there after each session, so I decided to shorten it up. I played around with various lengths until I found a happy medium of grounds containment and ease-ability of cleaning. I shortened the bushings so that I could retain the springs to allow the chute to articulate slightly, but I have found that it wasn't necessary because grounds don't appear to be sticking to the stainless chute. I may decide to shorten the bolts and remove the bushings and springs at a later date.

Mod #2 - Portafilter Holder

I wanted to create something that would make single-dosing a little easier since we primarily use the EK43 for espresso. After playing around with several different designs I landed on something that is a mix between the portafilter holder that is sold by Mostly Melbourne (Tough Coffee) and the one that comes standard on the Monolith Conical V2. It is fully adjustable and works like a charm. Eventually I will get everything coated, but I will likely wait until the "shelter in place" order is lifted.

Bmccall (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bmccall (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy

#3: Post by eltakeiteasy »

This is awesome!
LMWDP #672.

jtbenson

#4: Post by jtbenson replying to eltakeiteasy »

agreed!
ingenious.
curious, did you have the grounds tray custom made or did you get "lucky" with the fit of a found lid or something?
"the best thing about that coffee was the cup"
-Tadej Pogačar

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

That.

Is fantastic!

Nice work!
LMWDP #704

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Bmccall (original poster) »

jtbenson wrote:agreed!
ingenious.
curious, did you have the grounds tray custom made or did you get "lucky" with the fit of a found lid or something?

Thanks, guys!

The grounds tray is actually a Mahlkonig part. It came with the grinder.

jtbenson

#7: Post by jtbenson »

Bmccall wrote: Thanks, guys!

The grounds tray is actually a Mahlkonig part. It came with the grinder.
cool, thanks!
"the best thing about that coffee was the cup"
-Tadej Pogačar

jpsm

#8: Post by jpsm »

Your wife posted this in one of the groups! I am not sure maybe it was home espresso aficionados and I had tons of questions like the need for 2 single dosing grinders :lol:

Anyway, Nice mod! :D

bluesman

#9: Post by bluesman »

Wow - there's the spirit of the home barista! That's a wonderful project and you should be very proud of it.

When we retired a few years ago and moved to an apartment from our house, I had to give up my basement shop (lathe, mill, brake, TIG, MIG, press, 60 gal compressor, bead blast cabinet, polishing equipment etc etc). I was doing OK without it until I saw this thread - now I miss it terribly!

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Bmccall (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:Your wife posted this in one of the groups! I am not sure maybe it was home espresso aficionados and I had tons of questions like the need for 2 single dosing grinders :lol:

Anyway, Nice mod! :D
There is absolutely no need, haha. We bought the EK43 because we kept losing out on the monolith lottery. We finally got a flat in the Feb 2020 round and decided to keep the EK43 for cold brew and drip. The ek43 pulls a much different shot than the monolith, so it's fun to switch it up from time to time.
★ Helpful