Counter-clockwise hand grinder or burr?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mastiff7hurd

#1: Post by mastiff7hurd »

Hi, All. First post.

I've been grinding about 100-grams of beans per day in a Kinu M47 hand grinder for about 6-months and have developed a pronounced muscle on the left side of my chest. I wouldn't mind if there was a matching muscle on the other side but it only seems to be popping on the left side and just looks weird. I have tried switching hands for the handle/body but it does not seem to matter.

I'm probably just going to buy an electric grinder but before resorting to that I thought I would ask if there is a Kinu M47 compatible burr that is designed to run counter-clockwise (from the top) or if there is another quality hand grinder that runs counter-clockwise.

Grinding that much coffee by hand can be a bit tedious, especially since the grinder only holds about 30-grams, but I enjoy it and prefer to keep grinding by hand if there is a reasonable solution.

Thanks for any advice that you have to offer.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

The Orphan Espresso Apex can be run in either direction. The auger spring can be installed for clockwise or counterclockwise rotation (and the auger spring doesn't have to be installed at all if a slower feed rate is desired). Not for espresso though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

learncoffee

#3: Post by learncoffee »

How about if you switch hand, say if you use your right to crank and left to hold, then you use left to crank and right to hold? I remember someone here mentioned that they do something like that.

mastiff7hurd (original poster)

#4: Post by mastiff7hurd (original poster) replying to learncoffee »

I do that. I think it makes a little bit of a difference but not enough to alleviate the problem.

I've also taken to exercising the matching muscles by running the grinder in reverse while empty. Without the resistance of actually grinding, I don't feel like I'm gaining very fast.

Ken5

#5: Post by Ken5 »

Don't see how the direction of spin would help develop the muscles on the opposite side of your chest. Since the spinning is in a circular motion you are already cranking evenly in all directions; left, right, front and back.

Are you spinning with only the crank and keeping the grinder completely still? If so I agree with learncoffee, OR hold the handle completely still and spin the burrs by spinning the body instead. You will now be using the left hand, only difference would be the hand that you spin with will be a little lower and that should not make a difference.

'If' the reason for the uneven muscles is really the hand grinder perhaps start spinning with both hands at the same time once things even up?

pj.walczak

#6: Post by pj.walczak »

https://etzinger-ag.com/manual-grinders-en

For chest muscles development buy a barbell.
---

Pawel

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

mastiff7hurd wrote:Hi, All. First post.

I've been grinding about 100-grams of beans per day in a Kinu M47 hand grinder for about 6-months and have developed a pronounced muscle on the left side of my chest. I wouldn't mind if there was a matching muscle on the other side but it only seems to be popping on the left side and just looks weird. I have tried switching hands for the handle/body but it does not seem to matter...
Are you cranking with your left or right hand? Most righties would crank with the right and hold the grinder with the left hand, thus exercising the right upper extremity, shoulder, and pectoralis muscles...not those on the left side. The only way your symptom makes any sense is you're either a leftie or a rightie who is using the left hand to operate the crank. :?:

mastiff7hurd (original poster)

#8: Post by mastiff7hurd (original poster) »

I have been switching hands. While true that there is resistance in both the holding hand and the crank hand, hand position is different due to elevation and crank handle design (holding hand vertical, cranking hand horizontal and cranking hand above holding hand).

jbviau
Supporter ★

#9: Post by jbviau »

Well, I guess I have to be the one who makes this weird and asks for a pic of the "pronounced muscle" then?!

More seriously, how certain are you that coffee grinding is what's causing the imbalance?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

OMG! This thread is hilarious [LMFAO] :lol: :lol:
★ Helpful