Conical or Flat for Med/Light Roast? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LM21_2_Coffee (original poster)

#21: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

Here's a list of Varia dealers worldwide. https://www.variabrewing.com/pages/distributors

I live in Northwest USA. I have access to the USA, Canadian, and Hong Kong dealers. I assume I should use the USA dealer? The USA dealer is https://www.wholelattelove.com

Edited in Later: I scoured Whole Latte Love website and find no mention of Varia VS3 Gen 1 or 2. I think Whole Lattee Love is not a Varia dealer anymore.

So I guess for me (living in USA) the Canadian and Hong Kong dealers are my options.

LObin

#22: Post by LObin »

LM21_2_Coffee wrote:Coffee by April preferred Hypernova Ultra burrs for what use? Espresso, drip, or both? Light, med, dark or all roasts? He doesn't provide enough details, IMO.
They preferred the iridescent Hypernova over all the other burrs. They didn't give much details indeed but their coffees are usually roasted quite light and I assume they do a lot of pour overs with the April brewer for coffee shows. Potentially espresso too.

I don't know about U.S. distributors but ordering from eightouncecoffee in Canada might be a week or two faster since Variabrewing ships their next batch on the 23rd.
LMWDP #592

#23: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

LObin wrote:They preferred the iridescent Hypernova over all the other burrs. They didn't give much details indeed but their coffees are usually roasted quite light and I assume they do a lot of pour overs with the April brewer for coffee shows. Potentially espresso too.
I did hear him say in video that he prefers irridescent (Hypernova) burrs. However, I don't think he tested/compared the newer Hypernova Ultra burrs. I don't think the HNU existed when he made that video. The video is old.

I found some recent forum posts at Reddit where some people still prefer HN while others now prefer HNU. I can't draw any conclusions from that because no one elaborated on why, but I do observe that HN & HNU are both popular.

As far as I can tell, the HN & HNU look the same to me, except for 2 things:
1) HNU has prebreakers, which might be helpful.
2) HNU is slightly harder material (than HN) which I think is irrelevant in the short & mid term, but might become relevant longterm (after many years of use).
LObin wrote:I don't know about U.S. distributors but ordering from eightouncecoffee in Canada might be a week or two faster since Variabrewing ships their next batch on the 23rd.
Yesterday I ordered VS3G2 with HNU burrs. I wasn't sure if I should get HN or HNU burrs. So I guessed and bought HNU.

#24: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

BTW - The Lagom Mini also looks excellent to me, except for its lack of numbers on its dial. If Lagom put numbers on the dial, then I'd have bought one.

ei8htohms

#25: Post by ei8htohms »

Yes, that is a huge miss on their part.
LMWDP #751

#26: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

What I say below in this post is based on my understanding of the topic, but I'm relatively new to grinders. So if I'm mistaken about something, please correct me.

===

Earlier in thread we discussed upgrade burr options for VS3 Gen 2. At that time no one in thread knew much about the Hypernova Ultra. We'd only been able to find one review videoconline that mentioned HNU briefly with no testing nor details.

Today, I found a Youtube review by "Our Coffee Shelter" located somewhere in Britain. He has a good review of grinders under $350. In that review, he tested and talks about VS3 Gen 2 grinder and its burr options.

He says in his testing/use of the burrs...

He finds Hypernova (irridescant) to be Vario's best espresso burr and adequate for other types of coffee.

He finds Hypernova Ultra to be Vario's best multipurpose burr for a wide range of coffee types, including espresso and drip. That's what I want... a good multupurpose burr for my espresso and my neighbor's drip.

I also found a Youtube review by Alternative Brewing titled Ultimate Varia VS3 Gen 2 Grinder Review in which he does blind taste testing of VS3-G2 with stock burrs and HNU burrs, as well as with an Opus. He concluded that he got the best espresso and drip from the VS3-G2 with HNU burrs.

At the time I ordered, I guessed/hoped the HNU burr is Vario's best multipurpose burr. So I crossed my fingers and ordered HNU burrs. Now that I have more info, I think I guessed correctly.

===

P.S. - What I said above in this post is based on my understanding of the topic, but I'm relatively new to grinders. So if I'm mistaken about something, please correct me.