Conical or Flat for Med/Light Roast? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LM21_2_Coffee (original poster)

#11: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

randytsuch wrote:The Vario+ is the same as a fortified Vario, it has the metal grind chamber and metal upper burr carrier.

You'd still need to align the Vario for the best results.

I have a vario, planning to get the metal parts and align it. I use it only for drip right now, but plan to convert to only for espresso and get a separate grinder for drip. When I tried to use it for both espresso and drip at the same time, I didn't like the results. Some of my espresso shots were not good.

Not sure how these other grinders do going back and forth all the time.

What about 2 grinders? You can get a hand espresso grinder, and use the rest of the budget to get a drip grinder.

If you go one grinder, it may take some tweaking to get good results.
If I get 2 grinders they'd both have to be electric. I'm too handicapped to hand crank. My neighbor is not motivated enough to hand crank.

#12: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

LObin wrote:I personally believe the DF64GEN2 will give you what you're looking for. Stock burrs are somewhere in-between a classic and a modern style flat burr. I find the DLC version does a better job than the SSP HU, similar to the Gorilla Gear burrs.
The motor will be strong enough to grind by batch for your neighbor.

That being said, I have had the chance to try the Varia VS3 with Hypernova burrs and it was really good. Maybe better than the DF64gen2 burrs for light and medium roast espresso. Definitely better for filter. Also much easier to dial-in and it has super small increments for espresso which is great.
But... Grinding larger doses for your neighbor would tale much longer and put more stress on the smaller motor.
You have my attention. Please tell me more about Varia VS3 Gen 2 with Hypernova burrs vs Turin DF64 Gen 2 with DLC burrs. Those are my main contenders.

I'm also considering Baratza Vario Plus and Eureka Single Dose, but I'm aware that Eureka Single Dose is above my $525 budget. So it's not realistic, but I still like it.

#13: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

How much is static/retension a concern with these grinders & burrs?
Vario S3V Gen 2 with Hypernova burrs
Turin DF64 Gen 2 with DLC burrs
Baratza Vario Plus with stock burrs

Those are my 3 finalists. What thoughts on them with those burrs for medium roast espresso & drip? I'd make 3 to 6 cups of coffee per day.

We like med/light roast espresso & drip.

#14: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

Are you guys saying or suggesting that a Varia S3V Gen 2 with Hypernova burr is too fragile or slow to grind 2 shots of medium roast espresso each morning and 2-4 cups of medium roast drip coffee each afternoon?

That's only 4 to 6 cups a day (spread over 5 hrs) of medium roast. That seems like a very modest workload to me. Am I missing something?

LObin

#15: Post by LObin »

I'm confident the Varia VS3 can easily handle your daily coffee needs, no problem. The folks at April coffee used one for shows, so no concerns here.

Both grinders are honestly very capable and will serve you well.
Going back and forth between drip and espresso is much easier on these two than it is on the Mahlkonig. They're also single dosing grinder by design, unlike the Vario + (although it's definitely doable).

Retention wise I feel like it's quite similar. The DF64GEN2 has the plasma generator but while it definitely helps, it's not flawless. See Aramse review for more details on this.

Again, I was pleasantly surprised by the cup quality of the Varia with Hypernova. Even a more classic medium dark we tried was sweeter and less edgy on the Varia vs 64mm Italmill and 64mm Cast. It's a very capable burr set that seems able to do just about everything.

It all comes down to look and personal preferences.
The biggest advantage of a 64mm grinder is definitely the huge variety of aftermarket burrs available. You can always upgrade down the road if you feel like testing out something different. Varia is pretty good at designing alternative burr sets as well though.

If you're considering the DF64GEN2, I feel like the Sculptor 064S should be considered as well.

About the Eureka Oro...
If you watch JH's video I posted above, you can probably eliminate the Oro since it's an espresso grinder first and the adjustment mechanism isn't great for switching between brew methods.
LMWDP #592

#16: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

I checked out the Sculptor 064S and watched reviews. It has a lot of great features, but a few issues too. I think it has potential to be a future GOAT in its price range. However, I don't think it's a mature model yet. The 080s seems very well sorted out. However, I think the 064s is a work in progress that will become fully sorted in its next generation-iteration. I might buy the next gen/iteration of it. That ^ is my opinion. I respect that others may have other opinions.

The Varia VS3 Gen 2 seems awesome to me. I want one! Do you recommend Ultra Hypernova or Hypernova burrs for doing both espresso & drip? Is there a USA distributor for Varia VS3G2? Where is best place for a USA citizen to buy VS3G2? How is its support?

Note: I wish the VS3G2 was available with upgrade burrs installed from factory. If that was an available option, then I'd order it immediately.

Today, I ordered a Turin D64 Gen 2 with DLC burrs from ExpressoOutlet.com. I like that it will come with the DLC burrs that I want already installed from the factory. It shipped today about 3 hrs after I ordered it!

I still (also) want a Varia VS3G2. I think I'm sick. I think I need addiction coucelling from grinders anonymous! Grinders are addictive!

LObin

#17: Post by LObin »

LM21_2_Coffee wrote:I checked out the Sculptor 064S and watched reviews. It has a lot of great features, but a few issues too. I think it has potential to be a future GOAT in its price range. However, I don't think it's a mature model yet. The 080s seems well sorted out. I think the 064s is still a work in progress that will become fully sorted in its next generation-iteration. I might buy the next gen/iteration of it.

The Varia VS3 Gen 2 seems awesome to me. I want one! Do you recommend Ultra Hypernova or Hypernova burrs? Is there a USA distributor for Varia VS3G2? Where is best place for a USA citizen to buy VS3G2? How is its support?

Today, I ordered a Turin D64 Gen 2 with DLC burrs from ExpressoOutlet.com. I like that it will come with the DLC burrs that I want already installed from the factory. It shipped today about 3 hrs after I ordered it!

I still (also) want a Varia VS3G2. I think I'm sick. I think I need addiction coucelling from grinders anonymous! Grinders are addictive!

Whao! Ok. Good news is you'll soon be able to start a thread answering your own thread!

I have only tried the Hypernova. Based on a few comparison videos, the Hypernovas are often rating higher than the Varia burr sets. Doesn't mean the Hypernova Ultra wouldn't work though.

Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLX0ypWp3wU

And this one also:
LMWDP #592

#18: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

I've seen those 2 videos. They laud the Hypernova (HN) burrs, but don't mention the newer Ultra Hypernova (UHN) burrs. I've not been able to find any reviews of UHN.

I guess the UHN burrs are too new to have reviews. That's OK. I can enjoy setting up and using my DF64G2 with DLC burrs while I wait for new reviews comparing HN vs UHN.

I'm good for now. Thanks everyone for your advice. I greatly appreciate it!

LObin

#19: Post by LObin replying to LM21_2_Coffee »

In the Coffee with April video, they have compared the Hypernova Ultra to the Hypernova and the Supernova. He doesn't give much details except that they prefer the Hypernova over the other burrs they've tested.

You can find some details here (11:50):
LMWDP #592

#20: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

Coffee by April preferred Hypernova Ultra burrs for what use? Espresso, drip, or both? Light, med, dark or all roasts? He doesn't provide enough details, IMO.