Conical burrs (Mazzer), can you damage them when you run them too close?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Jul 15, 2019, 4:49 pm

I have a Niche Zero. Periodically I remove the burrs for cleaning. After reassembling it I check the calibration.

Yesterday after doing all of that I forgot to bring the notch back to grind setting I normally use. I loaded the beans, reached for the switch, and ...... stopped there. Fortunately I remembered to rotate the ring before running the grinder.

What would have happened if I had turned it on? Damage? No damage? Little damage?

I am sure that it will happen, soon or later.

The only topic about the subject is this one, it's comforting but it refers to flat burrs, not conical: Damage espresso grinder burrs by adjusting them too close?

four minutes to make an espresso? really?

jpsm

Postby jpsm » Jul 16, 2019, 2:13 am

I think its fine. That is basically how you calibrate the grinder to 0. In the case of the ek43 I did adjust it so that at 0.0 burrs would "chirp"/ slightly touch. If ever it will be damaged, i dont think it will be severe enough to destroy it/make it non functional.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Jul 16, 2019, 9:49 am

Thank you!
However the ek43, if I am not mistaken, has flat burrs, right? I was asking for conical burrs, in general or specifically for the Matter burrs that come with the Niche.

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » Jul 16, 2019, 12:39 pm

While it might be possible to hurt burrs by running them while touching, it's quite unlikely. If you look carefully at the burrs, you'll probably notice that what touches is flat ground surfaces, not cutting surfaces. I certainly would not tighten them while running and then leave the grinder running with the burrs screaming, but even that would probably not cause any damage unless you were actually trying to see what it would take to hurt them and left them like that for a very long time in a very powerful grinder.

Ira

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Jul 16, 2019, 5:31 pm

If they're just touching lightly and/or momentarily it isn't gonna hurt them. The burrs are hardened steel and it will take a lot to wear them down that way. If the burrs are really stuck real hard the motor is probably going to be the first to go rather than the burrs.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Jul 16, 2019, 6:36 pm

Thanks a lot. It makes sense.
(I hoped I had not find out by myself :P )