Compatible burrs for Baratza Vario/Forte

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

The Vario/Forte has 54mm flat burrs. I've run across other 54mm burrs sets such from Mazzer, Compak, Quickmill, Anfim and I'm sure others. Has anyone had any success with other burrs in your Baratza Vario/Forte?

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

Did you check the rotation on those burrs you saw? There are more 54mm burrs available but the only counter-clockwise that I can find are from Anfim and Quick Mill. Next problem is that the Vario/Forté burrs are mounted very close to the edge - visually it looks like most of the other burrs are mounted further in. Perhaps there are some exceptions Screw hole placement on Anfim 54mm burrs. or enough play that it could work anyway?

Unfortunately I doubt it, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Not sure I see any benefit of putting any other burrs in a Vario/Forté - but it'd mean there are less flimsy/noisy grinders out there compatible with the excellent and affordable steel "Ditting" burrs.

Edit: I realised you can probably just change the motor leads and make it spin in the other direction.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to Jonk »

I was more thinking about a unmodified example and just dropping a different burr set in but those are good points. Just looking at the burr geometry mazzer and compak seem to be clockwise and as you already pointed out quickmill and Anfim are counter. What's the benifit? Baratza BG burrs are 3 times more expensive than some of the others (at least what's available to me). I ran a search for 54mm flat burrs and I had a few hits. I'm not buying burrs however just to see if they fit and then they don't so this seemed like the place to ask.

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

DamianWarS wrote:Baratza BG burrs are 3 times more expensive than some of the others (at least what's available to me).
They are also 3 times better :wink: you should be comparing to the cost of SSP brew burrs instead and realize that they're worth the money.

If anyone know the answer to your question, I'm just as interested for just that reason.

randytsuch

#5: Post by randytsuch »

Here is the US, the Vario steel burrs are $60 per pair, ceramics are $40 per pair

Seems like other 54mm burrs are in the $40-50 range.

So for users in the US, not really worth taking a chance.

I want my burrs to be an exact fit, not pretty close.

Randy

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to randytsuch »

They are just over $100 here. Its not a big deal but I was just curious if there was other options.

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

Yeah $105 in my country so they're not exactly cheap, but I have no regrets.

About Randy's comment - either burrs fit or they don't. Actually, I think most manufacturers allow for some margin. SSP produces burrs that are more exact, and as a result there have been quite a few reports of difficulties mounting those.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to Jonk »

I'm a Canadian living/working aborad and I keep saying my next trip to Canada I'll buy some but the pandemic keeps delaying my next trip plus no visitors are coming from the outside (for the same reason) I may just have to pull the trigger. But that's helpful advice Jonk.