Compak PKE/PKF/PKR are in, anybody have one?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yyacoob

#1: Post by yyacoob »

It seems that finally the Compak PK grinders are in https://www.absoluteespresso.com/collec ... s?q=compak
The pricing is above my budget, for now. Any hand-on experience with any of these grinders?

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I have the PKE83 in my sights. The Compak site doesn't list them yet. I dispatched a raven to my Compak rep.

UPDATE: Raven returned. No PK grinders on the ground yet. Maybe a month.

PKE83 = 83mm high extraction yield conical burrs @ 350RPM. He said "extractions are exceptional". Must be a big grinder.

Prescott CR

#3: Post by Prescott CR »

I'll have to check on that!

When I asked Josh (from Compak) about the grinders he said they could be single dosed, so these may be good for a home barista person. That is if you don't mind the footprint and size. I remember using the R120 for espresso, friggin' huge.
-Richard

Lacoffee

#4: Post by Lacoffee »

it looks pretty much like the R120 with some fancy electronics on the front. Besides, once you accept that your grinder gets a seat at the table, it's just the new normal.
Andrew

Prescott CR

#5: Post by Prescott CR »

Here's the reply I received-

HI Richard,
We have been using them at The Barista League Competition series along with the SCA Access event down in Austin.
Check some pics on our Instagram @compakgrinders_usa for the latest.
We will have them at the NY Coffee Festival in two weeks for the Latte Art Live section, which we will be sponsoring.
After the NYCF we should have a limited run in house before Thanksgiving.
Hope that helps.
Josh

If anyone goes to that (from this board) I'm sure we'll hear about it :)

Also- notice the use of the word 'SHOULD' in the 'should have a limited run..' Josh is a realist.
-Richard

devlin2427

#6: Post by devlin2427 »

Almico wrote:I have the PKE83 in my sights. The Compak site doesn't list them yet. I dispatched a raven to my Compak rep.

UPDATE: Raven returned. No PK grinders on the ground yet. Maybe a month.

PKE83 = 83mm high extraction yield conical burrs @ 350RPM. He said "extractions are exceptional". Must be a big grinder.
Something got lost in translation...

All PK grinder are flat burr slow speed grinders. PKE and PKF are 83mm flat burrs while the PKR is 100mm flat.

IMHO I would go for the PKF because the adjustment is much nicer.

Almico

#7: Post by Almico »

I had an F8 and hated that adjustment knob. I traded it in short order for an E10.

I don't see how you can get a flat burr to work at 350rpm in a commercial environment, but if the pke is a flat, I don't want it. The ad cited in the OP says conical. I'll email Josh later.

devlin2427

#8: Post by devlin2427 »

7 seconds for 20g, not a grinder for rush hour. :D

https://www.pkcompak.com/pke

Almico

#9: Post by Almico replying to devlin2427 »

I don't use 20g doses, so not too bad for me if the grind is right.

But you're correct, 83 and 100mm flat burrs, spinning at 350RPM, interesting.

https://www.pkcompak.com/features

I wonder if they ever got the grind by weight right?

jonathonhagerty

#10: Post by jonathonhagerty »

Does anyone know the dimensions of any of these? Specifically the PKE? Does anyone know why they were delayed? Is the link in the first post a legit store? Several typos on the stores site