Compak PKE/PKF/PKR are in, anybody have one? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
devlin2427

#11: Post by devlin2427 »

63.5x21.5x40 cm for the PKE with the bigger hopper.

yyacoob (original poster)

#12: Post by yyacoob (original poster) »

Agreed, (1) dearth of specs (even on compak's website!), (2) only one website has the product and prices (unfamiliar to me).
But the grinder line sounds promising overall if they deliver.

ShelbiRyan

#13: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Almico wrote:I had an F8 and hated that adjustment knob. I traded it in short order for an E10.
Hey Alan,

Just curious as to what or why you didn't like the adjustment knob on the F8? I had an E8 and was kind of leaning towards the PKR100. It looks to be a similar adjustment mechanism as the F series. That's if or when it's ever released. I've emailed Compak several times over the last 2 years and they've only responded once.....with basically no real answers on release date,delays or tech questions regarding these grinders. So I'm still kind of up in the air about them.

hiyacharles

#14: Post by hiyacharles replying to ShelbiRyan »

I was once interested in the compak PK series and contacted my local compak dealer to see if they had the PK series for sale. They told me no, however they did supplied a full set of PK series grinders for a newly opened café as sort of a "testing" ground and invited me to try them out. Note that all those grinders did not have the weight taring function installed yet.

Their setup was PKR for filter, PKE&PKF for espresso.

When asked about his opinion on the PKE vs PKF, he said that he preferred the PKE as the adjustment mechanism provided him more of an "analogue feel" where else the PKF shows you a number on a digital screen when you turn the knob. Other than that, the burrs/motor are basically the same. While prepping a shot from the PKF for me to try, I noticed that the grounds came out really fluffy. Grind time was around 5-8 seconds, however I forgot what the dosage was (I think 20-25 grams?). No WDT (since this was a café), straight to tamping and into the espresso machine.

Taste wise: I do not have a very refined palate. But strongly remembered that the espresso felt like it had separated layers of taste in a good way

Hope this helps

ShelbiRyan

#15: Post by ShelbiRyan »

[quote="hiyacharles"]I was once interested in the compak PK series and contacted my local compak dealer to see if they had the PK series for sale. They told me no, however they did supplied a full set of PK series grinders for a newly opened café as sort of a "testing" ground and invited me to try them out. Note that all those grinders did not have the weight taring function installed yet.

Their setup was PKR for filter, PKE&PKF for espresso.

When asked about his opinion on the PKE vs PKF, he said that he preferred the PKE as the adjustment mechanism provided him more of an "analogue feel" where else the PKF shows you a number on a digital screen when you turn the knob. Other than that, the burrs/motor are basically the same. While prepping a shot from the PKF for me to try, I noticed that the grounds came out really fluffy. Grind time was around 5-8 seconds, however I forgot what the dosage was (I think 20-25 grams?). No WDT (since this was a café), straight to tamping and into the espresso machine.

Taste wise: I do not have a very refined palate. But strongly remembered that the espresso felt like it had separated layers of taste in a good way

Hope this helps[/quote

Thanks for the reply Charles, the weight function is actually what I'm interested in most. I was happy with my E8 taste, I just had spraying issues that were driving me nuts. I'm guessing they must be having issues with the grind by weight scale seeing as this seems to be getting pushed back a lot. But again, that's just my assumption.

ShelbiRyan

#16: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I see the PKR 100 is now available, but I don't see the grind by weight function. I also couldn't help but notice the price..... :shock:

https://idrinkcoffee.com/products/compa ... ee-grinder

boren

#17: Post by boren »

For $5500 you can buy exactly 10 Sette 270Wi. Whenever something goes wrong (e.g. a fuse is blown), just throw away the grinder and move on to the next. It'll still be a more reliable long term plan than getting one of these hugely expensive Compak grinders. And yes, I'm sort of joking, but getting 2 Sette grinders would be a pretty good plan. One set for espresso, the other for drip, and both serving as a backup if something goes wrong with either.

Also, Compak is boasting about Rotary Clump Crusher, but the ground coffee obviously contains more clumps than what the Sette produces, 100mm burrs notwithstanding.

redbone

#18: Post by redbone replying to boren »

IDC is in Canada so 5,497.80 cda = 4134.52 usd as of today 8:45 est. A justifiable price for a busy cafe if the quality, reliability and ease of use and maintenance is there. Sette would last about a day in a busy cafe but then again it was designed for home usage. Cool idea regarding the clump crusher.

Notice that the burrs look like burrs cutting pattern found in the EK43 as opposed to the burrs in most other flat burr grinders. I also wonder how they're able to grind at such slow RPM's with a flat burr. This may have a lot to do with their 4x stronger motor even though I was under the impression that greater centrifugal force was required with flat burrs.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Almico

#19: Post by Almico »

I would think it has a active auger mechanism that feeds beans through the burrs.

But 7-8 seconds to grind a dose is too long in a commercial setting. My decaf dedicated E5 takes 8 seconds and it feel like time is standing still when the line is 8 deep.

ShelbiRyan

#20: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Does anyone have any intel about about their grind by weight? It's advertised on their PK website, but I don't see any out in the wild.