Compak K10 WBC has landed!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Jun 19, 2018, 4:35 pm

Picked up a used k10 in great shape off the buy and sell... and will be using it for single dosing only (no commercial use). Question: my initial impressions are that if mazzer invented fingernail clippers, then compak invented hamburger grinders. My mazzer (see frankenjolly post) now sports a short stainless steel chute that I bent up and glued to the exit of the grind chamber. It works VERY well and retention is nonexistent with a couple pulses and short sweeps with a brush. The exit port in the mazzer is now polished a little and does not retain ANYTHING. But, there is a tendency to clump a little and WDT is a requirement of the daily routine. The K10 came in last night and I set it up and BOY is this thing a little bit like a battleship... the sweepers on my mazzer will nibble at the end of a chopstick if you poke it around in there, but by comparison the sweepers on the compak are the size of chomping shears lookin for fingers to bite off. Remember the closing scene of Terminator 1 where its being crushed inside a hydraulic press? THAT's what the grind chamber of the compak reminds me of. I can turn the spindle of the mazzer with my fingers and spin it by hand... the compak clearly has a transmission of some sort, trying to spin the spindle with my fingers is like trying to push the ram of that hydraulic press up to save the Terminator. The exit port on the compak is much wider and there is a very disconcerting step halfway out, and grinds collect there and for some reason don't sweep very easily with the brush. I'm not sure if its an access problem (there is an E style stainless funnel over the exit port to guide the grounds down) or if the port is just rough. But retention is quite bothersome, and my 'bopper' on the top cannot be used as the K10's top has a rather prominent finger that sticks out that has a screw in it. I think that screw is only to hold in the hopper, although I don't have a hopper on it right now. But I have to make an adapter to insert into the mouth to hold the bopper in place to see if that will blow out the grounds with sufficient force from the exit port.

Is the E type funnel on the outside necessary to reduce clumping? or are exit chutes enough? Does anyone know? I have pulled a couple doses from the K10 and wow! very little clumping compared to the mazzer but I don't know if its the grinder or the stainless funnel...

aloha,
walt

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Jun 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

OK, the chute is not sweeping clean because its NOT METAL! Duh. its made of silicon rubber..... thus the large step when it goes from metal aluminum chute/grind chamber to outer chute/rubber...

This is going to make it more difficult to make a more frictionless chute for zero grounds retention...

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Jun 20, 2018, 4:09 pm

All the K10WBC/Pro Barista chutes I've seen are molded plastic. That looks like a home made piece.
LMWDP 267

lordjeebus

Postby lordjeebus » Jun 20, 2018, 6:26 pm

My K10 WBC has a piece like that. I've never tried taking it off. I haven't had trouble sweeping the chute. Has removing it made sweeping easier? Is the doser stable without it?

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Jun 20, 2018, 11:56 pm

It's definitely not home made, it fits flawlessly and hugs the aluminum box of the chute very well.
Taking off the two screws on the sides is all that's needed to pull it out... but there is a very large gap between the aluminum chute and the body, you cannot use the grinder when the rubber piece is not there. It will run just fine, but the grounds will fall into the body.

EricC

Postby EricC » Jun 21, 2018, 3:34 am

You can replace that with a custom made one that is smooth and shaped to help reduce retention.

Here : https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFSP7 ... i=shortUrl

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Jun 21, 2018, 4:59 am

Thanks, Eric. That's nice... are you single dosing with it? or will it scatter grounds all over?

EricC

Postby EricC » Jun 21, 2018, 5:49 am

Glad i could help Walt.

I am afraid that i no longer have my Compak K10 WBC, however i can confirm that i used to single dose with it and no the grinds did not spray everywhere in fact if i remember correctly it was neater than the original, this is of course into the doser and NOT directly into the portafilter as John mentions below..

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Jun 21, 2018, 9:01 am

walt_in_hawaii wrote:It's definitely not home made, it fits flawlessly and hugs the aluminum box of the chute very well.
Taking off the two screws on the sides is all that's needed to pull it out... but there is a very large gap between the aluminum chute and the body, you cannot use the grinder when the rubber piece is not there. It will run just fine, but the grounds will fall into the body.

Evidently the bean counters found that the original molded plastic chutes were too expensive? Too bad as all you had to do was to cut back the top edge to improve sweeping access. You'll see lots of info on the mod in the old K10WBC mod threads. What is the build date of your K10?
LMWDP 267

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Jun 21, 2018, 9:44 am

Are you thinking of running the K10 without a doser?
LMWDP 267