Compak K10 WBC has landed! - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#31: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Hahahaha, hey John. yeah, that's a hard one. I'm not measuring at this point on either machine, its subjective. On the SJ, the adjustment collar is much smaller, and I find that the smallest movement I can detect when I move the collar results in changes in the flow on the machine when drawing a cup.... right now I'm running singles of 8g, and I'm trying to balance right on the cusp between a big DRIP-DRIP-DRIP during the pour, to the smallest stream I can manage... delicate balancing act. I'm never quite sure if its all in the grinder or if I just tamped a touch too hard. Trouble is, with these deep singles cups (the LM ones), I find I HAVE to use a little pressure on the sides to seal the puck in. The middle of the puck is only subjected to incidental pressure, but as my tamper is slightly smaller than the center of the basket's deep portion, I have a routine where I put a little tamping pressure at each of the 4 corners of the compass and try to seal in the sides well. If I don't do this, I notice a drip drip drip out of the side that's a distinctly different color than a regular pour, and comes out much too quickly... water is jetting down the side and not going through the puck.

On the K10, the collar is much larger diameter. I've been moving it perhaps a 1/8" at a time, except these movements more often than not don't make enough of a difference in the pour rate :(
I've only JUST got it to be a continuous stream just now, finally, due to not really wanting to jump around... I saw someone had printed a mm scale and glued that to the face of his K10, which seems a great idea. I found printable scales, but can't find one that goes 10-0-10, only the ones that go 0-10.
I've noticed that most of the pics I see of people with K10 seem to show the 'finger' that holds the screw for securing the hopper to be around 1 or 2 o'clock position. Right now mine is right around there, as well. I think I started with mine near 12 oclock and by 'huge amount' I probably meant 1/2" or so :) because on the SJ, a 1/2" would mean the difference between a drip and niagara falls.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by JohnB. »

I have a wooden handle attached to that hopper screw on mine. Typically it's pointing between 3:00 & 4:00 with my espresso range between 45-55 on the grind scale. A 1/8" movement will make a difference but nothing like what that would do on a Mazzer SJ or Major.
LMWDP 267

#33: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

3 or 4 o'clock.... is that for a double? maybe 18-19g? I haven't had time to calibrate for doubles yet, still working on singles as that's my go-to pull, I get to have several and don't have to stop after the first! :)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by JohnB. »

Yes, that's a 16g-20g dose range that currently works well for the 5 different coffees/blends I'm currently using. I bought the singles baskets/tamper/ect but just couldn't get any joy out of a sip of espresso. A typical coffee day for me is 3-4 25-30g doubles using 18g doses.
LMWDP 267

#35: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Hahahahahaha, if I had that many doubles my cars would be spotless, the house would be painted several times over, and the weeds in the yard wouldn't have a chance!

Pulled 4 singles this morning, one on the SJ and 3 on the K10... boy the grind is finally spot on for the K10! REALLY good pulls this morning, sweetness about the same but definitely more flavor nuances in the K10... I love the first sip because its heavy on crema and sooooo silky smooth; but there's also that last little bit, the last dregs/sip, even with swirling I still get an extra bit of spiciness there, delicious!

exuse me, I have to go vacuum the cars and paint the house.... be right back.

#36: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Day 2 or 3 with the new chute/bopper... can't keep track. The grind is so fluffy, I decided to streamline the workflow this morning and skipped the WDT and went directly to tamping... pulled the lever and went underneath to watch the bottomless pf... no difference! Wow the K10 is pretty amazing. I know I can't get away without a WDT on the mazzer. Dial in on grind is spot on... I want to use the K10 exclusively for a few days and then hop back quickly to the SJ and see if I can detect a difference. Zero blind doesn't upset me :), I'm the most subjective guy I know!

#37: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Ok, LOVE the grind with this machine! But...
hmmmmmmmm...
The grind chamber is HUGE. I mean, its HUUUUUUUUGE. And really big, too. That's probably why my bopper is having such a tough time blowing out anything, the ratio of bellows volume to grind chamber volume favors the grind chamber. Which is not a problem in commercial use, you just use the old grounds to push out the new since the dwell time is so short due to production volume while in full time use. But in home use and single dosing, it becomes hugely problematic.

Soooo. Is anyone really attached to such a large grind chamber? Is there any reason why, say, I couldn't make a ring and press it into the current grind chamber to make it much smaller? and then cut the paddle fingers down so they are just stubbies so it'll just fit into the new grind chamber? Also, the fingers are really, really fat and flat topped. grounds can hide on the tops... better design is to make the fingers knife edged on top so the grounds want to drop to either side of the paddle fingers. And the fingers only need to be wide enough to sweep the chamber out and no more... they are really fat and big right now, thus the 'chomper' look. But hardly necessary... they only have to move coffee grounds, not chop up the Terminator.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by JohnB. »

="walt_in_hawaii"-

Soooo. Is anyone really attached to such a large grind chamber?
I haven't found the size of the grind chamber to be an issue. I've been single dosing my K10 since 2010 & see maybe 1-2 tenths of a gram retention with an 18g dose. Have you measured retention? Are you getting more then that?
LMWDP 267

#39: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

I have not measured the powder I'm seeing outside my catch cup, but I would estimate it's far less than a tenth of a gram. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this amount isn't susceptible to 'control' in the normal sense... I can't alter the workflow process or do something else that will affect this amount, but it's small enough that I can live with it.... HAVE been living with it, its small enough that I don't think it bothers me that much. Although what does sorta push my buttons is the mass ejecta out of the port/chamber... you should see how much more forceful the ejection is when I punch the bopper on top my mazzer SJ! The grounds just burp out and don't dwell inside the chamber or port... there is only a small bit of powder still hanging onto the chute which is then swept out. On the k10, same thing happens on that chute, but the chamber is massive, so I cannot use the bopper to push out and must use the brush to reach in and each time, have to hope the k10 fat fingers will stop without one of the fingers blocking the port (there are 3 of them spinning round in there, so more often than not, the grinder stops with the port clear). THAT is what I'm trying to get to... yes, you can pulse it a few times and that usually addresses it. But a smaller chamber would make it easier and cleaner... but worth it? I dunno. I do a lot of things that aren't really worth it because I think my cost-benefit analytical skills are broken :)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by JohnB. »

I seriously doubt it's worth all that effort. Grounds might come out even slower. I don't pulse anymore. I sweep the chute with the grinder running after the actual grinding is done & give the chamber one or 2 blasts with the Rocket blower through the chute before lifting off the foot control.
LMWDP 267