Compak K10 WBC has landed! - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
walt_in_hawaii

#101: Post by walt_in_hawaii » Aug 21, 2018, 1:40 am

Larger plastic has arrived... I ordered delrin, but got some sort of softer plastic, its more like nylon. The difference is that it won't cut cleanly, very difficult to work with. Did the best I could.
Image
Image
Image
It is placed into the holding fixture and holes drilled/slots cut. I used a different cutting order this time and didn't use quite enough slant on the slots, I think. it'll work, but doesn't look to be quite what I wanted. You can see how 'sticky' this plastic is, just does not want to cut cleanly:
Image
Image
finally got something close to what I wanted, but the fingers are not slanted enough... but too late to fix that.
Image
Now have to put it into the k10 and compare it to the first one I made... but have to make little 'buttons' to go into the 3 bolt heads so grounds can't get in there first. This spider will use the stock chamber, I will remove the new grind chamber I made for the k10...
I should note that in the stock configuration, I measured the clearance under the stock aluminum fingers to the grind floor and the clearance was about .028", near as I could measure with feeler gauges through the exit port. The height of the center 'bump' on the bottom of the spider was about .033"... so nominally, I would need about .005" on my new spider to get the fingers flying over the floor at an altitude of 0.00"... but this spider is difficult to cut. I ended up with a .006" bump and called it good (this should mean my spider will fly at an altitude of .001"... somebody call the air control tower and get clearance for me, huh?). Waiting to see how well it functions in real life.

walt_in_hawaii

#102: Post by walt_in_hawaii » Aug 26, 2018, 6:22 pm

Took out the grind chamber I made, and put in the new spider... wow, it is huge!
Here they are side by side:
Image
Tried it out this morning, and boy does it pump out the grind faster! I didn't build little 'manhole covers' yet for the 3 bolt heads in the floor, just itching to try out the new spider :)
Doesn't seem to be too much in grounds retained in there, though... worked great! This uses the stock grind chamber, and stock spider cut down a little and with a delrin/nylon spider to do the actual sweeping. Any stock k10 can easily be modified this way...
I made the space under the new spider very small on purpose, it seems to sweep the floor VERY clean. There is slight friction, when I turn off power the grinder does slow down slightly quicker. But its very slight and seems to work well... I'll keep it this way for a week and pull off the turret to check on it next week.
Image