Compak K-10 grinder, availability, opinions? - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ken Fox

#61: Post by Ken Fox »

This post is a "one-off," in that I do not plan to respond to any questions posed, so please don't bother to pose any :mrgreen:

I am posting this simply because I said I would update my last post on this grinder in this thread, and I am doing that and nothing more.

Compak has established a US presence in New Jersey in the USA. Josh, who runs that office, was kind enough to offer to send me a new K10 WBC grinder based upon the previously described problems I had with the grinder I received directly from Spain. About a month ago I sent my old grinder back to them, and today the UPS Man arrived with the new, replacement grinder.

The new grinder is perfect in every respect. It arrived in a box which was packaged better, with molded foam material at top and bottom. There was no external damage to the box as received, and the grinder showed no signs of damage from shipping.

I have now set the grinder up in my kitchen and it functions perfectly. I have not taken the grinder apart, as there is no reason to and this is not something I would normally do unless there was a reason to do so. For this reason I cannot comment on the internals.

The grind quality from this grinder is excellent, which was also true of the earlier grinder I had which was damaged in shipping to me. Assuming that Compak (and their dealers) are able to deliver this grinder to customers in the USA in a similar condition to what I have received, I believe that this grinder will deliver excellent quality results to purchasers in this country. The packaging has certainly improved.

Whether this grinder is the perfect grinder for you will depend on what you expect from it. In the home, it will remain a very large grinder with a large grind path which will require the wastage of some amount of coffee if the goal is to grind per shot in a low volume setting such as your typical home barista's home. It will produce equivalent grind quality and will do this with a lot less frequent need to adjust grind settings compared to your typical planar grinder and as a result will need less fiddling and will waste less coffee. When compared to something like the Cimbali Max hybrid from Chris Coffee, it will still need less adjusting but the benefit is less and must be correlated with its size, cost, and appearance vis a vis the Max hybrid.

Regardless, I am very impressed with the service I have received from the new Compak USA office, and if my experience is any indication of what others might receive, purchasers of this grinder will be in good hands should they have problems in the future or require any sort of support.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955