Compak E5 losing dose settings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DenLM

#1: Post by DenLM »

My Compak E5 will not hold timed dose settings when the unit is powered off. The battery has been changed but the same issue persists. (In other words, the grind time is set for 8 seconds. I then programmed it to 7 seconds successfully. When powered off and then on, it returns to 8 seconds.) Is there a way to reset the machine so it will hold a new setting or is the display board need to be replaced?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Dennis.

Have you verified the voltage of the new battery?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

DenLM (original poster)

#3: Post by DenLM (original poster) »

No, but I have tried a couple of new, brand name, batteries.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Are the battery compartment contacts completely clean?
You might try cleaning the battery contacts and the new battery with a Q-Tip and some alcohol to remove any contaminants.

DenLM (original poster)

#5: Post by DenLM (original poster) »

Hmm, good idea! I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to DenLM »

I would also suggest that you verify that all the contact points from the grinder battery holder are making a solidly tight contact with both poles of the battery (+&-), otherwise all might be OK but no current will flow!

DenLM (original poster)

#7: Post by DenLM (original poster) »

I just cleaned both the battery and contacts (which looked very clean.) After waiting a bit to ensure it was dry, I reassembled the grinder and the problem still exist. I'm sure what to try next. Thanks again.

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

When you replace the battery is all the data in memory, such as the number of shots & time/date retained or lost? Is any data retained?

Are all circuit board plugs securely plugged into the boards? Do you own and know how to use a digital volt/ohm meter?

Have you reached out to your vendor if you bought this grinder new?

DenLM (original poster)

#9: Post by DenLM (original poster) »

1. All previous data is retained for all 3 "buttons". As stated originally, any setting that I enter (i.e., 7 seconds) is not retained. It always goes back to the previous "8 second" setting.
2. All boards are firmly plugged into mother board.
3. I have an old analog meter; my knowledge is pretty basic but can measure voltage or resistance.
4. The retail vendor referred me to the tech at Compak who said that the "display board must have been zapped by a power surge or other damage and needed to be replaced. Cost is $188." I think he doesn't understand the issue. There isn't anything wrong with the display, just the memory.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

If any of the settings are being retained in memory after power is cut off, then the battery is not the issue. You will have to consult with a Compak service provider or the distributor of Compak in USA. I too would likely suspect it might be a board that might have to be replaced.