Comandante grind settings don't match what I read online - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RichardN

#11: Post by RichardN »

Glad that it's not just me. Also just got a flair - the signature with pressure gauge. I find I need 7-8 clicks on the Comandante. I'm still honing in dose and yield and all of that, but anything above 8 and it just shoots through, under pressure and under extracted.
I'm wondering if it is finer than other users as it's a light roast? I've got a light Kenyan/Brazilian blend right now.
Need to play around more, but might consider getting a red clix axle. Seems to be a small window between too sour on either side of the sweet spot, as it were. But I'm still practising - had a few good shots, a lot of sour, one or two very good and rounded.
My pour over coffee, V60, is just fantastic, sweet and clear and round, a huge jump on my old Wilfa. The grinder is good.

mtbizzle

#12: Post by mtbizzle »

Hm. Have you contacted the company, OP? Does not seem right to me either. I have a flair classic and comandante. Typically I approximate target timings with 10 or so clicks. I believe the flair classic calls for 15-17g. If I do 16g with 9 clicks, it is often too slow. 16g with 10 clicks is often too fast. So recently I have been in the ballpark of 15.5g with 10 clicks. I do WDT, relatively firm tamp, and a preinfusion at roughly 1 bar until I see the first drip, at which point I pull
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

Moozac

#13: Post by Moozac »

With red clix, a few people have mentioned that it introduces some play, causing more size variation.

That aside, my settings for my Commandante are:
7 for 17g dose on my Robot
22 for Hario 1 cup drip pot (cloth) 16g
25 for v60 2 cup 20g
15 for aeropress (inverted, 1:30 brew time)

Temperature, the coffee, water, technique, etc. all come into play so there is some variation. The above are averages.