Cleaning/modifying used La San Marco SM 96 (newbie)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AZPJ

#1: Post by AZPJ »

Hello,

I've been using a superautomatic machine for a number of years and just jumped in with both feet with the purchase of a used Gaggia Classic Coffee and La San Marco SM 96 grinder. The grinder is in excellent condition, but could use a thorough cleaning and I also am contemplating doing away with the doser mechanism.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much information online about this grinder and how to disassemble it, and it seems to be different enough from similar commercial grinders (Super Jolly, etc.) that reviewing posts about taking those apart isn't necessarily helping me.

Is there someone who is familiar with these grinders who could help? Are there any instructions online that I've overlooked which detail how to disassemble and reassemble it for cleaning, modification, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

I found an exploded view here:
https://www.espressomachinendoctor.de/ ... _:385.html
Not terribly descriptive, but it should get you somewhere.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

AZPJ (original poster)

#3: Post by AZPJ (original poster) »

Thanks for replying Bluecold, but unfortunately that isn't getting me unstuck. Here are some photos of the doser, which I'm trying to take apart for cleaning and/or remove altogether...the thing at the top I assume is an electronic limit switch of some kind?

I unscrewed the finger-nut thingy shown in one of the photos to try to get the star out, but it's not coming out with the use of a bit more force than I'm comfortable with; the upper star will move up and down a little (against a spring, it feels like) and rotate slightly, but doesn't seem to want to lift or rotate out and I'm concerned about breaking something.

Also, the little deflector shield which I assume is supposed to cover the outlet at the front bottom of the doser is currently sitting towards the back near the body of the grinder and doesn't really seem to want to budge either.

Does anyone know if this should alljust come apart at this point, or if any other fasteners need to come out first that I'm missing? Is it just 'glued' together with coffee residue at this point?

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

The little dedlector shield has a tab on the front which falls into a small slot at the front of the doser. If these aren't aligned properly, it will get stuck due to the extended tab. See if you can force the little deflector in its proper position. As far as I can tell, the doser star section should lift out. My Faema doser works roughly the same way.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

AZPJ (original poster)

#5: Post by AZPJ (original poster) »

I think the little tab must be broken off because I got it to rotate finally and it won't stay put. I still can't get the mechanism to come out though and would appreciate any other help as I don't want to break it.

Also, does anyone know if the limit switch can be removed? It's just in the way for my intended usage.