Cleaning the Eureka Olympus 75HS

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IamOiman

#1: Post by IamOiman » Nov 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Owning a commercial grinder will require cleaning every so often (though this applies to all grinders to some extent), and today I did my second cleaning of my Eureka after putting 6-8kg of coffee through it. In the future I may do it more frequently but I'll see what happens. To fully clean the grinder you will need to access the chute that lays behind the display. There is a sticker with the Eureka logo on the top of this display that can be taken off with a thin screwdriver (future cleanings only need a fingernail to get under it). There is a small screw you then take out to pop off the LCD display. The chute and clump crusher can be seen but there is a larger screw that connects the entire display panel to the grinder that must be taken off before you can take off the components. Once this screw is removed you can lay the entire display assembly on the table you are working on and you do not need to touch any wiring.

You can see the clump crusher can hold a fair amount of clogged grounds, though this was not noticed by me during daily use. About 5g of coffee came out of this part, which is a fair amount. The chute however is pretty clean and only needed a quick wipe down.

On the grinder coffee grounds will cake up where the clump crusher attaches to it that can be removed with a vacuum or stiff brush. This is where my one pet peeve with this grinder comes in. If you do not properly remove the grounds they can fall into the slot where the bottom part of the display latches onto the grinder and cannot be easily removed.

On the top of the grinder you take off the top burr via three large screws. Simply take a brush and sweep off the gunked up coffee grounds and then vacuum it up with a hose attachment.

Once you are satisfied with the cleaning you can reassemble the grinder starting with the display and chute in reverse order of opening it. Then you can reattach the top burr. As a last step run the grinder without any beans to get any loose grounds potentially missed.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612