Timemore Chestnut X grinder (Kickstarter)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Snidel337

#1: Post by Snidel337 »

Timemore released a KS project for a new grinder

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... e-grinder/

Main remarks for me so far are:
-New burr set (they called it S2C) promising lower fines and more consistency
-Double adjustment grind size (internal) 24 position (23 clicks) and 5 sub clicks for a total of 120 clicks
-Dual bearing center shaft
-Same handle as in the nano
-A small filter to catch skin

I backed it, sounds good, i like timemore as a new brand, i was at border to buy a 1zpresso k-plus, but this looks more promising and since i do not really have a rush to upgrade...

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

I have the Timemore Chestnut grinder and I do like it. The build quality is very good and it is very consistent. The step adjustment is just a bit too coarse. I can usually make it work with my Flair, but finer steps or stepless adjustment woul be nice.

I like the looks of this new grinder.

I really wanted to back this but it is unclear as to how much more the grinder will cost after the backing donation. Am I missing something? It reads to me like I pay the $255.00 USD and then when they start to ship I would have to pony up more for the grinder. This is the unclear part; Does the $255.00 donation simply buy me the option to buy a grinder at a discount or is it a deposit on a grinder with a balance due at shipping, or is it the complete price for a grinder once they are shipping?

I may just be dense, but I really don't see anything clearly defined on the kickstarter page.

Steveko23

#3: Post by Steveko23 »

That does look pretty nice. I'll follow this thread and potentially back as it nears the end date. I do like that safari version color scheme too.

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by GregoryJ »

luvmy40 wrote:I have the Timemore Chestnut grinder and I do like it. The build quality is very good and it is very consistent. The step adjustment is just a bit too coarse. I can usually make it work with my Flair, but finer steps or stepless adjustment woul be nice.

I like the looks of this new grinder.

I really wanted to back this but it is unclear as to how much more the grinder will cost after the backing donation. Am I missing something? It reads to me like I pay the $255.00 USD and then when they start to ship I would have to pony up more for the grinder. This is the unclear part; Does the $255.00 donation simply buy me the option to buy a grinder at a discount or is it a deposit on a grinder with a balance due at shipping, or is it the complete price for a grinder once they are shipping?

I may just be dense, but I really don't see anything clearly defined on the kickstarter page.
Hi Rich, the price for the different "perks" is the total you pay for the grinder. (Assuming you don't owe VAT). The "gold backer" perk is pretty clear, it says you'll enjoy a 40% discount off the recommended retail price.

Snidel337

#5: Post by Snidel337 » replying to GregoryJ »

Considering early backer option is cheaper for the same grinder i hit that one

zefkir

#6: Post by zefkir »

It does seem to be an interesting burr geometry, though I would take Timemore's claims with a grain of salt. Especially the comparison with a higher end commercial grinder (which one? margin of error? a properly aligned one?)

I wonder how it works, is that some kind of pre-grind like a Versalab?

With that emphasis on cutting, I wonder how much torque you have to apply for finer grinds.

I don't know how good a 0.03 mm tolerance is, especially when machining circular things. They claim it as a feature, but if anyone here can add some context, I'd be grateful.

How large is that burr?

Finally, SUS440 is as far a s I can tell a version of 440C steel, ie one of the cheapest steel that can be reliably quenched and tempered.

Comandante has another grinder with a larger burr (compared to the C40) scheduled soon-ish. Another thing to consider. Also, February 2021 is a long time away for a product they are going to release anyway. I probably sound more negative than I mean, it's an interesting product, especially at early bord or gold backer prices, but I think we should temper our enthusiasm.

Snidel337

#7: Post by Snidel337 »

I think the machining tolerance is related to the CNC pieces, so not thaaaaaaat relevant

About the size of the burrs idk, i will post on the comment section of the project :lol:

I agree about take the claims with a grain of salt

Just by seeing the video, i dont think it can really count as double layered grinding, but more like a push mechanism like the one is present on the crushgrind brazil, the idea is that the bean arrives split to the cutting section, so its easier to grasp and therefore less fines would be produced and maybe there could be some speed advantage too

Torque is a concern in their design, since the lever doesn't look too long, i also wonder about the handling ease, because looks kinda smooth despite being squared

About comandante... personally i think its really over rated... their machining quality isn't improvign i would say the opposite, they produce a lot, but not sure on the quality, i have seen some used units quite lose... also the fine tuning isnt so good unless you buy an aftermarket piece to double the clicks... Comandante C40 was an outstanding manual grinder when it got released, and for sure improved with the updates, but idk i think now we have better options on the market, i was really thinking about getting a 1zpresso k-plus

Jeff

#8: Post by Jeff »

"Double-click" adjustment sounds like a non-feature to me, based on my experience with Baratza micro-adjust. It works well as long as you don't need to cross a big-step boundary, but has problems when you cross. With only 5 little steps, I'd be concerned with using it for espresso.

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

If it's anything like the G1 (same shape at least) the grinder will be comfortable to grip but you might have to grip it quite firmly for medium-light roasts.

The fit and finish on the G1 is pretty good, but not quite as good as Kinu's top models.

Actually the first generation Comandante grinders were so poorly made they got recalled.

Snidel337

#10: Post by Snidel337 »

Jeff wrote:"Double-click" adjustment sounds like a non-feature to me, based on my experience with Baratza micro-adjust. It works well as long as you don't need to cross a big-step boundary, but has problems when you cross. With only 5 little steps, I'd be concerned with using it for espresso.
Could you develop, i see the mechanism as different than the one on the electrical baratza 270 (idk other models with microadjustment in person), doesn't seem like the same kid of mechanism, this ones looks completely linear and its marked as such on the dial.