Timemore Chestnut X grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
matthewlese

#31: Post by matthewlese »

Well, the fact that it's more oriented for Pourover is all I needed to hear. I'm backing it.

Snidel337 (original poster)

#32: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh0va5wpjzv3o ... 0.pdf?dl=0 <--manual got released, there is info about the adjustments of grind size

#33: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

matthewlese wrote:Well, the fact that it's more oriented for Pourover is all I needed to hear. I'm backing it.
Sounds like its their intended purpose, since the minor adjustment is 15microns
For traditional grinders, if the resolution is too big, the adjustment' s range is not enough. If the resolution is too small, there will be too many clicks and it' s not easy to adjust. So we designed a the main dial with 0.08mm per click and secondary dial with 0.015mm per click. It' s super easy and fast to set your liked coarseness and each value is intuitively clear. No more counting clicks.

Major dial:0.08mm per click

Minor dial:0.015mm per click

Please don't grind 0- 3 clicks of Major dial

For Turkish coffee, we recommend 4-5 clicks
80 microns, sounds super rough, and then be able to adjust by 15 microns increments sounds quite nice for pour overs... im not so sure its the best for espresso... there are some grinders that allow 10 microns, but i think a lot depends on implementation

#34: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

If i understood well how it works, it will allow a resolution of 15 microns based on the minor dial, but combining both dials it could reach a resolution of 5 microns, which would be the best of the market

My train of thoughts is
Assumption Lets imagine [major dial] in position 0 means full contact of the burrs
step 1: one [major dial] click will set the burr distance to 80 microns
step 2: another [major dial] click will set the burrs at a distance of 160 microns
step 3: each [minor dial] click will reduce the distance in increments of 15 microns, for a max reduction of 75 microns

Conclusions
- Resolution between major clicks is 80 microns (given)
- Resolution between minor clicks is 15 microns (given) <-- that is like a comandante with a red clix upgrade and slightly worse than a 1zpresso JE-Plus and worse than a Kinu M47
- Resolution between one [major click] and the next [major click minus 5 minor clicks] is 5 microns <--- that's amazing!

graphidz

#35: Post by graphidz »

While 0.05mm sounds amazing, but it doesn't apply to all increments and only on each main dial increments. So from my understanding it's actually :

0.005 (1, -1.0)
0.020 (1, -0.8
0.035 (1, -0.6)
0.050 (1, -0.4)
0.065 (1. -0.2)
0.080 (Say this is 1, 0)
0.085 (2, -1.0)
0.100 (2, -0.8

First number in the bracket being the main dial, the second is the second dial

So if say this is very weird and non-uniform in a way. But these are just theoretical values I'm sure and tolerance within manufacturing will vary.

#36: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) replying to graphidz »

Exactly you understood it in the same way i did

Jonk

#37: Post by Jonk »

15 microns is adequate in any case. For example Kinu M47 can be adjusted with less than 5 but in my experience so small adjustments are not necessary even for espresso.

I think most users will use the macro adjustments and only fine tune it for espresso use.

#38: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Major clicks are 80 microns, that's way too inaccurate to dial for espresso. I do not recall any half decent grinder with such resolution. Dual dials improves speed while not sacrificing precision, but there is no single way you can dial precisely with 80 microns per click.

By the other hand kinu m47 resolution is 10 microns, not 5. I leave you the link to is manual as source
https://www.kinugrinders.com/assets/sit ... wnload.pdf

Jonk

#39: Post by Jonk »

Snidel337 wrote:Major clicks are 80 microns, that's way too inaccurate to dial for espresso.
Exactly.
Snidel337 wrote: I do not recall any half decent grinder with such resolution. Dual dials improves speed while not sacrificing precision, but there is no single way you can dial precisely with 80 microns per click.
I disagree. I think this is not far away from the adjustment of the G1 - great grinder, just not suitable for espresso. Fine for dialing between aeropress, V60, kalita wave and so on.
Snidel337 wrote: By the other hand kinu m47 resolution is 10 microns, not 5.
No, it's stepless - you can set it at any setting you like. There are marks and sounds to help but in the end you decide.

#40: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Exactly.

I disagree. I think this is not far away from the adjustment of the G1 - great grinder, just not suitable for espresso. Fine for dialing between aeropress, V60, kalita wave and so on.

No, it's stepless - you can set it at any setting you like. There are marks and sounds to help but in the end you decide.
Thanks for the clarification about the Kinu M47 being stepless