Timemore Chestnut X grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zefkir

#21: Post by zefkir »

Jeff wrote:At least for me, monotonic (increasing output for increasing input) is critical. Linear goes beyond that by saying that each output step is the same for a given size change in input. Many of these dual-adjust systems don't guarantee the first. I don't care how you get there, but "7.8" needs to always be smaller than "8.0" (macro.micro). Yes, I'd prefer if the steps are close to linear, but for espresso, it's a grinder-usability "fail" if going "one notch finer" ends up being coarser.
That makes sense.

I thought you have have implied there was more play or more inaccuracy with having two mechanisms rather than one, but, it didn't even occur to me that someone wouldn't design a mechanism where you would have a total of n micro steps of a lining up a macro step being exactly n*a.

Jonk

#22: Post by Jonk »

Actually the G1 can be even slower grinding for espresso.. Sometimes it seems the beans are not fed properly, perhaps if they're large, but 3+ minutes is not unusual. There is a different burr "G1S" which is probably a lot faster, similar to Aergrind and Rosco mini - but still a bit slower than Kinu M47 and equivalent.

About burr size, Timemore measured the inner cone when they specified 29mm for G1, basically the same size as those labeled 38mm when measuring the outside ring. If they measured the same way for the X it could be larger than the "47mm" burrs.

Snidel337 (original poster)

#23: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Well they already answered me that is takes 1 minutes 50 seconds to grind 20g for espresso, that was 10" faster than G1

Jonk

#24: Post by Jonk »

Just saying it'll vary a lot depending on beans and setting. Seldom use my G1 for espresso because I don't hate my arms :lol:.. But for the sake of this thread:

16.8g dose, dark roasted beans that offer surprisingly good resistance.

First try, 7 clicks.
5 exhausting minutes later, the Robot chokes on the grounds :roll: still too coarse for Turkish, could've worked fine for espresso with different beans.

Next try, 9 clicks.
2 minutes felt blazingly fast in comparison.. 55 seconds for a 1:2 shot. Very nice, sweet and ristretto-like mouthfeel. Almost worth the extra effort, but my arms disagree!

zefkir

#25: Post by zefkir »

Jonk wrote:Actually the G1 can be even slower grinding for espresso.. Sometimes it seems the beans are not fed properly, perhaps if they're large, but 3+ minutes is not unusual. There is a different burr "G1S" which is probably a lot faster, similar to Aergrind and Rosco mini - but still a bit slower than Kinu M47 and equivalent.

About burr size, Timemore measured the inner cone when they specified 29mm for G1, basically the same size as those labeled 38mm when measuring the outside ring. If they measured the same way for the X it could be larger than the "47mm" burrs.
Based on the sideview on the KS page, the inner cone of the Chestnut X has a diameter of roughly 32.5 mm with a 42 mm outer burrs diameter. That's about the size of the inner cone of the JX-Pro actually.

For reference, the big Mazzer burr on the Niche Zero has an outer diameter of 63 mm and an inner cone of 40 mm.

#26: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

Yes, it looks like a pour over grinder that can do other things, when i asked, they replied

"Hi Felipe,
Thanks for the feedback and the interest in Chestnut X.
The burrs are 42mm. S2C Burrs are mainly for pour over but also compatible for espresso grinding.
It takes 1min 50s to grind 20g for espresso which is 15s quicker than Chestnut G1. (...)"

I will ask how much is the resolution in microns per click

Considering just the size of the burr (42mm) it will be bigger than a Kinu M47 (manual) for example, but smaller than a Zero Niche (electrical) and in another price bracket

Jonk

#27: Post by Jonk »

Not bigger than M47, about the same size apparently.

#28: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Kinu uses a 47 mm conical burr from Italmill. (Chestnut X a 42mm of a new type of burr we don't know how it performs)

Kinu M47 it's mainly useful for espresso, they also sell another burr set for other methods that requires coarser like pour-overs

From the info i got so far, chestnut X is more like a pour-over grinder that CAN be used for espresso, being a little faster (10secs) than a G1, but in my mind what will really determine its possibility as all method grinder is the resolution of the clicks

Jonk

#29: Post by Jonk »

Snidel337 wrote:Kinu uses a 47 mm conical burr from Italmill. (Chestnut X a 42mm of a new type of burr we don't know how it performs)
Inner cone is roughly the same diameter, just less thickness in the outer cone wall..
Snidel337 wrote: what will really determine its possibility as all method grinder is the resolution of the clicks
I disagree, burr design is more important than resolution. In this case it sounds like the X will be too slow to be practical as an espresso grinder. Looking forward to reports on how it performs for pour over though!

#30: Post by Snidel337 (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Inner cone is roughly the same diameter, just less thickness in the outer cone wall..

I disagree, burr design is more important than resolution. In this case it sounds like the X will be too slow to be practical as an espresso grinder. Looking forward to reports on how it performs for pour over though!
About the second part, i want to clarify, because we maybe agree: For me, most important is (1st) design (for consistency), then the (2nd) resolution (to be able to dial perfectly) and then the (3rd) size of the burr (more related to speed).

I just take espresso occasionally, so i don't mind much to grind for a longer time (like 1.5 min) if i can dial is perfectly, that is why for me resolution is more important than size