Cheap dosing chamber?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bialettibarista

#1: Post by bialettibarista »

I was wondering if anybody knows of a cheap replacement dosing chamber for a grinder? I'm not looking for any special brand.This is for a project and the project will require me to basically destroy it so it should be pretty inexpensive.

Don Task

#2: Post by Don Task replying to bialettibarista »

Hmmm... cheap/inexpensive is a relative term since cheap to one person might be really expensive to another. Also... not exactly sure what you are looking for since you didn't mention if you are looking to go from a standard doser to doserless grinder chamber/funnel and/or if your are tying to retrofit a grinder you already have... or if your are looking to assemble something from scratch.

Assuming you are looking to start from scratch (basically destroy) and you want a "quality grind" ... IMO I think the cheapest and best aftermarket grinder/dosing chamber mod would be to first watch ebay and try to snag a bargain priced Mazzer like this and then pick up this mod from Daniel Wong. In the end you have a super nice, high quality dosing grinder that is relatively cheap (approx $320) when compared to new equivalent performing dosing grinders.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

bialettibarista (original poster)

#3: Post by bialettibarista (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion.I have been keeping my eye out for used grinders but I have not seen anything that I'd find it be reasonable. All I need is the dosing canister itself.I know you will all laugh at me but it's to be mounted on the bottom half of a Pharos 2.0. My wife and I run a coffee stand and the theme is no power,hand made.using the Pharos, Bialetti brikka nd a Bellman stovetop steamer push the drinks out and about the same time as a barista with real equipment. The coffee is very good but our manual espresso is better.We want to convert over to a manual espresso. This is an attempt to find a accurate and speedy way of dosing espresso with the set-up that we have. Up to now the only thing I can find is new and it's about $320. I can't really say what cheap is,$320 is too much. If had to pick a number I would say under 150. there could also just be a better solution. currently we're grinding directly in to the BIALetti finals which works quite well and is a very fast. We could grind directly into the portafilter with the same setup but the problem is static creates a terrible mess every time. Any thoughts or suggestions?

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

Are you referring to the gizmo with the lever on dosing grinders? If so perhaps someone who's done the "doserless" conversion would sell you the take off parts. I am a little confused how this will work with an OE Pharos grinder -- or maybe I am completely off base as to what you are looking for!

#5: Post by bialettibarista (original poster) »

Yes, it's the can with the lever. So far as attaching it to the Pharos I have several possibilities. It will depend on the size and design of the chamber. It will most likely require significant modification. I just started designing a cheap prototype using a flour sifter. We will see.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I have several older Mazzer dosers left over from when I rebuilt a number of the SJs & Majors. PM me & we can discuss it.
LMWDP 267

#7: Post by bialettibarista (original poster) »

Thank you all for your help. I did actually find something that would work and I got a whole grinder that works for the price of a cheap dosing canister!!! After a thorough inspection of the dosing canister I decided that the advantages are not worth the added hassle of modification. I'm just going to use it as it was intended.