Cellulite massage silicone cupping for... Niche Zero!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ursego

Postby Ursego » Feb 10, 2019, 10:15 am

Cupping is a very good thing for adepts of the single-dosing religion. Not the coffee degustation - I mean cellulite massage silicone cupping therapy! The size of the large cups perfectly fits Niche Zero (pay attention - there are a few sizes!), so, after grinding, I blow out the small amount of the powder which is still in the channel (even though that amount is really neglecting). Sometimes I sharply press with my palm, sometimes I bash with a fist - depending on my mood :lol: :

★ Helpful

Tim.R

Postby Tim.R » Feb 10, 2019, 11:06 am

With my Niche being delivered in March, I appreciate the tip - looks like a perfect fit. Are you also using something to reduce popcorning? Cheers!

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Feb 10, 2019, 11:26 am

I got this for the same purpose, though it is not available on Amazon right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

This one would probably work too: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017NDV6KO/ref=dp_cerb_1

FWIW, I don't even bother with it now.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

Ursego

Postby Ursego » Feb 10, 2019, 11:55 am

Maybe, those are even better (easier to operate) - if their diameter is big enough for NZ.

Tim.R wrote:Are you also using something to reduce popcorning?

Yes - a single basket.

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Feb 10, 2019, 12:14 pm

Nice find!
No Espresso = Depresso

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Feb 10, 2019, 2:22 pm

All for 0.7g....really I think it's a little over the top ;)

P.S. we have a show on here, about dangerous inmates in the penitentiary, they always show a mugshot of said person....just sayin :)

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » replying to DaveC » Feb 10, 2019, 3:20 pm

Assuming single-dosing why would anyone possibly want to leave coffee in the grinder, only to stale and require a purge before the next use. Why not have an accurate, predictable dose, when it is easy to do so? If grinder, machine, coffee, water, and barista skills are good enough, it is pretty easy to taste a difference in dose of .3g. That said, there are other ways to compensate for minor dose changes, but I prefer to use those techniques to fine tune extraction and taste, which is much easier if I hold the dose constant as I tweak other parameters. Some coffees obviously require different doses for optimal extraction, but random intershot dose variation is not the way to achieve this.

randyr5

Postby randyr5 » Feb 10, 2019, 4:19 pm

deleted

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Feb 11, 2019, 3:05 pm

mivanitsky wrote:Assuming single-dosing why would anyone possibly want to leave coffee in the grinder, only to stale and require a purge before the next use. Why not have an accurate, predictable dose, when it is easy to do so? If grinder, machine, coffee, water, and barista skills are good enough, it is pretty easy to taste a difference in dose of .3g. That said, there are other ways to compensate for minor dose changes, but I prefer to use those techniques to fine tune extraction and taste, which is much easier if I hold the dose constant as I tweak other parameters. Some coffees obviously require different doses for optimal extraction, but random intershot dose variation is not the way to achieve this.

Sorry my bad I meant to type 0.07g, so used to the Hundredths of a gram, that I forgot the zero. My Niche has a variance of around 0.05g and the retention is laughably small. I measured it in my review and it's below the limits of a human to taste.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Feb 11, 2019, 3:32 pm

That makes more sense.