Ceado's new single dosing grinder: E37SD - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spearfish25

#171: Post by spearfish25 »

Can anyone who has used the E37SD comment on spraying of the grinds?

I was an E37S owner and got very frustrated over one month of ownership. It would cover my arm in coffee grinds sporadically. There were endless threads on whether this was a real issue or user error. Many concluded the grinder needed to have a hopped and trying to single dose with it or use a small amount of beans with a tamper on top wasn't true to the Ceado design. All the other theories came into play too..static, moisture, etc. I even fabricated a little cover to contain the spray but the grind size changed when it occurred and the shot times were way off.

Now it seems Ceado has supplied a little chute cover. I'd love to go back to the E37 because everything was fantastic except the horrific spraying issues.

Qrumcof

#172: Post by Qrumcof »

Yeah, "tilting" the grinder would be another tweak, but the price jump from the E37sd to the E37sd is too much for me. Getting virtually zero retention in the low $2000 range was already over my budget. Doubling that cost for another tweak or two, would not be worth it for me (unless I won the lottery)..

I believe the E37S did come first, and it appears a solid design. I have no problems with Ceado tweaking this design to optimize it for single dosing. When I mentioned marketing I was referring to how reliable the information is, on how effective the tweaks for single dosing are going to be (because there just doesn't seem to be many actual users comparing the grinders).

SPRAYING GROUNDS:
yes, I've noticed this with the E 37S, using the tamper on top. Instead of using a bellows system I've been using the tamper (moving it up and down to alternately block the airflow), And most of the time near the end of the single-dose grind, there will be a small burst of grinding activity (probably about one beans worth, or; tenths of a gram) that results in a spray of coffee grounds. Just enough to be annoying, but it's better than the grinder retaining these grounds. Yes, I am using the tamper now, previously I was just tapping with the palm of my hand (over the top with no bellows), and still getting the spray of grinds. I just bought an 837S a couple weeks ago, and I don't remember seeing a cover (like the one for the E 37SD), but that probably would solve the grind spraying problem. Not a serious issue by any means, but I'm annoying issue to be sure and a grinder at this price point.

dsblv (original poster)

#173: Post by dsblv (original poster) »

spearfish25 wrote:Can anyone who has used the E37SD comment on spraying of the grinds?

I was an E37S owner and got very frustrated over one month of ownership. It would cover my arm in coffee grinds sporadically. There were endless threads on whether this was a real issue or user error. Many concluded the grinder needed to have a hopped and trying to single dose with it or use a small amount of beans with a tamper on top wasn't true to the Ceado design. All the other theories came into play too..static, moisture, etc. I even fabricated a little cover to contain the spray but the grind size changed when it occurred and the shot times were way off.

Now it seems Ceado has supplied a little chute cover. I'd love to go back to the E37 because everything was fantastic except the horrific spraying issues.
Ceado updated the E37S 3 years ago to eliminate the old spraying issue. I've had my E37S for 2 years and it's been flawless. I also used my E37S for single dosing with no problems. I haven't read of any issues with the E37SD.

Qrumcof

#174: Post by Qrumcof »

dsblv wrote:Ceado updated the E37S 3 years ago to eliminate the old spraying issue. I've had my E37S for 2 years and it's been flawless. I also used my E37S for single dosing with no problems. I haven't read of any issues with the E37SD.
In fairness, I am probably coaxing the grind spraying, by using the tamper like a bellows. What was the update? Wondering if I need to look through the box for the plastic thing that goes over the chute.

I agree None of the things mentioned above rise to the level of an issue; - I think it would be more correct to call the discussion optimizing for single dosing.

Peter_SVK

#175: Post by Peter_SVK »

dsblv wrote:What are you basing that on? ...
My technical opinion - without consistent bean feeding particle size distribution is changing during grinding (this is not my idea, but known feature). That's why true SD grinders are made with vertical flat burrs chamber or tilted flat burrs for better beans feeding consistency. Some people think, that only real flat burrs SD grinder is EK43 (or similar design), but I don't want to open any dispute about that. :wink:
dsblv wrote:... The original Monolith conical grinder wasn't tilted and people raved about how great that grinder was....
I've thought it was clear from the context (E37SD), that we are speaking about flat burrs grinders, not conical ones (which is a different storry, their beans feeding is OK in principle). Monoliths mean Flat and Max. I'm sorry, if I was not clear enough.
dsblv wrote: ... A measure of consistent feeding would be low retention. And, the E37S and SD retain virtually no grounds...
Consistent feeding and retention are totally different things, but no doubts about retention.
dsblv wrote:...The E37S was already a strong platform, so Ceado didn't have to develop an entirely new machine for single dosing. Modifying the existing design provided a single dosing solution that's very competitive...
That's not correct, Ceado developed entirely new machine for SD first, E37Z-Hero, even before E37S to SD modification.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not against Ceado (E37S or E37SD), but for SD at Ceado price I would opt for another grinder...

Qrumcof

#176: Post by Qrumcof »

Peter_SVK wrote:That's not correct, Ceado developed entirely new machine for SD first, E37Z-Hero, even before E37S to SD modification.
Please don't take me wrong, I'm not against Ceado (E37S or E37SD), but for SD at Ceado price I would opt for another grinder...
So for single dosing, what would you prefer over the E37SD (in this price range). I'm about to exchange the S for the SD (30-day window), and if there are other grinders I should take a hard look at now's the time.

I'm kind of a newbie here, just bought a Synchronika and the E37S 2-weeks ago (and loving it, even my screwed up shots are still better than starbucks).

dsblv (original poster)

#177: Post by dsblv (original poster) »

Well, you can always return the E37S and get a Niche Zero that costs much less. The Monolith grinders cost more than the E37S and good luck buying one.

I single dosed with my previous grinder for almost 10 years and just got tired of the routine. I switched to using a hopper after purchasing my E37S. Hopper feeding the beans is just simpler and cleaner. I don't switch coffee types that frequently and don't benefit from single dosing. But, if I did want to single dose, I'd just use my E37S.

Peter_SVK

#178: Post by Peter_SVK »

Qrumcof wrote:So for single dosing, what would you prefer over the E37SD (in this price range). I'm about to exchange the S for the SD (30-day window), and if there are other grinders I should take a hard look at now's the time.

I'm kind of a newbie here, just bought a Synchronika and the E37S 2-weeks ago (and loving it, even my screwed up shots are still better than starbucks).
As far as I've noticed, Ceado E37SD is USD 2400 (at WLL), so my personal opinion for SD grinder: Kafatek Monolith Flat (USD 2450) or Option-O Lagom P64 (ca. USD 1585, silver colour, with SSP Red Speed burrs). Unfortunatelly both grinders are only on pre-orders, current batch is already sold out - I've heard Option-O should make some more grinders also for direct sale (in June?), so watch Option-O web site in case you are interested.

pcdawson

#179: Post by pcdawson »

I've had the SD since January and use it daily. No issues at all with either grinds spraying or grind retention that I've seen. You kind of need an extra arm to grind directly into the portafilter though as there is no way to hold it in place as with the included grinds cup.

Qrumcof

#180: Post by Qrumcof »

Peter_SVK wrote:As far as I've noticed, Ceado E37SD is USD 2400 (at WLL), so my personal opinion for SD grinder: Kafatek Monolith Flat (USD 2450) or Option-O Lagom P64 (ca. USD 1585, silver colour, with SSP Red Speed burrs). Unfortunatelly both grinders are only on pre-orders, current batch is already sold out - I've heard Option-O should make some more grinders also for direct sale (in June?), so watch Option-O web site in case you are interested.
Now I have upgradeITIS before I even got the E37SD, LOL. I love the Kafatek monolith flat (it's like a work of art like stub cookware).

Sadly after running the numbers, I don't think I can. I am already stretching at $700 more to upgrade to the SD, And it would be another $700 stretch to get a flat.