Ceado's new single dosing grinder: E37SD - Page 17

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Qrumcof
Supporter

#161: Post by Qrumcof »

Kleefisch wrote:Maybe interesting facts to note:
At my single dosing tests of E37S I saw no clumping or sticking of grounds (RDT applied). All fluffy ground in the metal cup, just as known by E37S when used with metal flap and Hopper.

Virtually zero retention without any help by air pumping (no bellows). But one time some beans stucked to the plain part of the turning burr and did not suck in. Maybe less RDT (less wet beans) or therefore the bellows of E37SD would have helped.

Grinding 18g to espresso took 20-25 seconds until the last bean was sucked in (if it did not stick to the burr).

I used a fresh medium-dark espresso blend, about a week after roast.
I've been using the E37s, in single dose mode, for about 2-weeks. I have a 58mm tamper in place of the hopper.

I've noticed the burrs create airflow, so when I move the tamper up and down it interrupts a vacuum. This works like the bellows and pushes grounds out (the tamper fits airtight, and can actually inject air like a plunger).. What I have noticed is every once in a while, after you think the single-dose is done grinding, an unexpected clump of coffee grinds comes out (maybe a gram)?).. I believe if I was not doing the tamper/bellows thing, that this coffee would end up being retained in the grinder (and maybe End up with an extra gram in the next grind).

This is making me wonder about grind retention versus 18 g in an 18 g out. There probably is a negligible amount of retention; I suspect 1/10th or 2/10th of a gram (using bellows or similar). Does anyone believe Having a very small amount of old grains mixed in would affect the cup or pulling the shot?

Also I would not do RDT unless you have the titanium burrs.. I am under the impression that the steel burrs could eventually rust, and also because titanium is more slick, RDT could create more retention.

I am 90% sure I am trading in for the E 37SD, because I want to do single dosing, and I'd rather have a grinder specifically designed for it.

Peter_SVK

#162: Post by Peter_SVK »

Qrumcof wrote:... What I have noticed is every once in a while, after you think the single-dose is done grinding, an unexpected clump of coffee grinds comes out (maybe a gram)?)...
I think that could be rest from the chute at the end of the grinding, when there is no longer centrifugal force of ground coffee from the chamber.
Qrumcof wrote: ... Also I would not do RDT unless you have the titanium burrs.. I am under the impression that the steel burrs could eventually rust ...
Is that really proven? Coffee is oily, so asking.

Qrumcof
Supporter

#163: Post by Qrumcof »

Peter_SVK wrote:Is that really proven? Coffee is oily, so asking.
I'm only repeating marketing (reasons why the titanium burrs cost so much). But it sounds sensible to my ears, because titanium is a slicker surface. I don't know if rusting would actually happen, but RDT might lead to more retention without the coating.

It seems like a lot of money to go from the E37s to the E37SD, but I'm hoping little tweaks like the titanium coating, lower rpm, etc, lead to better single dosing performance. In a few weeks I will know (I'm returning the E37S and paying the extra money for the E37SD).

splashalot

#164: Post by splashalot »

Qrumcof wrote: ....It seems like a lot of money to go from the E37s to the E37SD, but I'm hoping little tweaks like the titanium coating, lower rpm, etc, lead to better single dosing performance. In a few weeks I will know (I'm returning the E37S and paying the extra money for the E37SD).
I'm interested to hear your opinions and comparison to the E37S. Make sure you post them here, please.

Qrumcof
Supporter

#165: Post by Qrumcof »

splashalot wrote:I'm interested to hear your opinions and comparison to the E37S. Make sure you post them here, please.
I set a calendar reminder.. I'm shipping back the s probably Monday.. probably will not have the SD for another week and a half or more.

DJ_Jazzy_Coffee

#166: Post by DJ_Jazzy_Coffee » replying to Qrumcof »

Excellent. I too want to hear your thoughts. I think I have it narrowed down to E37S or E37SD. Both seem like great choices and hearing from will be insightful.

Qrumcof
Supporter

#167: Post by Qrumcof » replying to DJ_Jazzy_Coffee »

That's where I've been stuck for a month (s or sd). Lately I've been having doubts.. and wishing I had just got the $500-$1000 range grinder, but I'm already set on my path (after purchasing the S). But, after spending $5000 on everything (espresso machine, grinder and water filtration), another 700 to get the right grinder doesn't seem that severe (and Im gambling that by in the morning expensive grinder will reduce the chance I will get upgrad'itis later).

After using the E 37S for a couple of weeks, it became clear I would rather have a grinder engineered for single dosing (it's only me and sometimes girlfriend drinking coffee). If I were pulling maybe four coffee's a day or more, and thought I would be content not switching coffees very often, the E37S would be a Little less work overall. But I do like to switch coffees, and my shot pulling will be low volume.

The E37s was engineered to have beans in the hopper when grinding. And the E37SD was specifically engineered for single dosing. Once I realized I will be single dosing long-term, it's sunk in that the SD is the better choice for me (especially if the tweaks make it a better single dose grinder).

So, I am gambling the $700 upgrade to the E37SD that it will work better for single dosing. There are quite a few tweaks that appear to be engineered specifically for single dosing (but i really can't get any confirmation beyond marketing). The titanium burrs cutting teeth are a different configuration (unless my mind is playing tricks on me, that's what I saw when I compared them with online pictures), the titanium coating is more nonstick than the metal burrs, the 30% lower RPM, and of course the Bellows; - All appear to be little tweaks engineered for single dosing. Also I noticed on the E37S the worm gear (for fine grinding adjustment) looks like aluminum? (it does not look like hardened metal). On the SD it looks the same color as the titanium burrs. If that thing is titanium coated there will probably be an improved feel to the grind adjustment too (but that grinding adjustment was already beautiful on the s).

Again I'm gambling that the SD will be a chunk better than the S at single dosing. Single dosing with the S takes me a minimum of 30 seconds (I have it set for eight seconds to grind, and I have to do that at least four times to get all the grinds out). The tamper stops the beans from popcorning out (and they will if the tamper is not there). The SD has little or no pop corning (per Google anyway), which means even with a smaller motor and lower RPM, it will probably grind a single dose faster and more consistently (then the S in single dose mode).

I know I could buy these separately, but the Porta filter funnel and cup that comes with the SD look like they will make the process faster and easier. I was going to buy these things anyway, and it would surprise me if these two things cost 100 bucks (so not the 700 down to 600 for the upgrade).

Peter_SVK

#168: Post by Peter_SVK »

Qrumcof wrote: And the E37SD was specifically engineered for single dosing.
The SD has little or no pop corning ..., which means even with a smaller motor and lower RPM, it will probably grind a single dose faster and more consistently (then the S in single dose mode).
I'm not sure about that, E37SD looks more like marketing mod of S to be SD (because SD starts to be popular :) ). For consistent beans feeding SD grinding chamber should be vertical (like EK43) or at least tilted, so true SDs grinders (i.e. engineered for SD) are Hero (E37H), Monoliths, EG-1, Lagom P64, ..., IMHO.

According to YT video ca. 20s (unknown dose, but looking like 15 - 18g basket) + 10s cleaning the chute with the brush.

dsblv
Supporter ♡

#169: Post by dsblv »

Peter_SVK wrote:I'm not sure about that, E37SD looks more like marketing mod of S to be SD (because SD starts to be popular :) ). For consistent beans feeding SD grinding chamber should be vertical (like EK43) or at least tilted, so true SDs grinders (i.e. engineered for SD) are Hero (E37H), Monoliths, EG-1, Lagom P64, ..., IMHO...
What are you basing that on? The original Monolith conical grinder wasn't tilted and people raved about how great that grinder was. A measure of consistent feeding would be low retention. And, the E37S and SD retain virtually no grounds. The Ceado grinders also have no problem evenly distributing grinds into the portafilter.

The E37S was already a strong platform, so Ceado didn't have to develop an entirely new machine for single dosing. Modifying the existing design provided a single dosing solution that's very competitive. And, you can actually buy one when you want it.

pcdawson

#170: Post by pcdawson »

+1 to this.