Ceado's new single dosing grinder: E37SD - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#151: Post by leonelbego »

Kleefisch wrote:Thanks for your feedback!

Good and first time to hear that E37SD can sport a hopper for those heavy-use-situations. When doing so, don't you get into trouble about static clumping because RDT cannot be applied with the hopper?
Hi, that's a good question, I asked the same exact thing to the Ceado person and he said you have basically 2 options:

- if you know you are serving coffee for let's say 4-5 people right now then put enough beans for those 4-5 people in the hopper and RDT the hopper. So static issue solved

Or

- when using the hopper and no RDT, basically the E37SD will work as a E37S, meaning when you want to switch to proper SD again you need to clean the chamber to take the coffee that stayed there and problem solved. And honestly, cleaning the chamber on the 37s is extremely easy.... or maybe after a time you just don't want to SD anymore, so you just leave the hopper all the time and would be the same as the E37S with the only difference you only have a "start/stop" bottom and not the time option anymore. But that wouldn't bother me.

Kleefisch

#152: Post by Kleefisch »

Again interesting. How do you control dosage? Just grind by feeling and then separate to doses by weighing after grinding?

I just tried single dosing with my E37S. Removed the metal flap, covered the chute behind the top plate by some piece of cardboard to avoid spilling ground coffee onto the PCB.

Actually, retention was nearly zero. I thoroughly cleaned all internals before and it was pretty much 18g in/18g out. Retention was roughly in the range of RDT water, so max. 0.1-0.2g I suppose. This was stable for all 5 cycles I tried it.

I let the hopper off but the rubber piece in the machine. Had to cover the grind chamber to avoid beans popping out, for sure. Also had to place Acaia metal cup directly on the spout to avoid ground coffee flying around. WDT in Acaia cup and then pouring into the portafilter.

Doable, overall. But I certainly hate this 'workflow'. It takes so much time and needs constant human attention that I see no real benefit over handgrinding with Comandante C40. Neither in convenience nor in time, just less muscles :wink:

Not sure if I will opt for E37SD or Niche Zero for a better workflow. I need something that can be operated with and without guests on a regular basis, and so also by my wife 8)

Kleefisch

#153: Post by Kleefisch »

Maybe interesting facts to note:
At my single dosing tests of E37S I saw no clumping or sticking of grounds (RDT applied). All fluffy ground in the metal cup, just as known by E37S when used with metal flap and Hopper.

Virtually zero retention without any help by air pumping (no bellows). But one time some beans stucked to the plain part of the turning burr and did not suck in. Maybe less RDT (less wet beans) or therefore the bellows of E37SD would have helped.

Grinding 18g to espresso took 20-25 seconds until the last bean was sucked in (if it did not stick to the burr).

I used a fresh medium-dark espresso blend, about a week after roast.

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#154: Post by leonelbego »

Kleefisch wrote:Again interesting. How do you control dosage? Just grind by feeling and then separate to doses by weighing after grinding?

I just tried single dosing with my E37S. Removed the metal flap, covered the chute behind the top plate by some piece of cardboard to avoid spilling ground coffee onto the PCB.

Actually, retention was nearly zero. I thoroughly cleaned all internals before and it was pretty much 18g in/18g out. Retention was roughly in the range of RDT water, so max. 0.1-0.2g I suppose. This was stable for all 5 cycles I tried it.

I let the hopper off but the rubber piece in the machine. Had to cover the grind chamber to avoid beans popping out, for sure. Also had to place Acaia metal cup directly on the spout to avoid ground coffee flying around. WDT in Acaia cup and then pouring into the portafilter.

Doable, overall. But I certainly hate this 'workflow'. It takes so much time and needs constant human attention that I see no real benefit over handgrinding with Comandante C40. Neither in convenience nor in time, just less muscles

Not sure if I will opt for E37SD or Niche Zero for a better workflow. I need something that can be operated with and without guests on a regular basis, and so also by my wife 8)
Hiya,

How do I control dosage? If I am using the hopper in my E37SD then I just grind "by eye", then I weight and see if I have 18g in my portafilter or whatever dosage I need.
If I'm Single dosing with the SD then I have those bean cellers, I have 12 of them and is the easiest because then I know I have my 18gms, so I don't even have to weight in the whole process :) I love it!

The Niche is surely a very nice grinder as well, a lot smaller and will take less space in your kitchen, but with that one you won't be able to use the hopper. But maybe a good idea to have niche if you have the E37S next to it :) then you would have the best of both worlds (and the niche cost a lot less than the SD)

djdigy

#155: Post by djdigy »

hi there,

I'm wondering if E37SD is capable of grinding turkish? What is its grinding limits?