Ceado Grinder Mods

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by FotonDrv »

I have had a couple of Ceado grinders, an E37 and an E37s, and there are a few Mods that have come to mind.

A different hopper, either smaller or a single dosing set up.

Static Flap removal has been brought up but I have not done that, yet.

An addition of another push button to actuate the grinder motor and leave the existing gear intact.

Adding felt pads on the front rubber feet of the grinder so the grinder and be slid out from under a cabinet easily. Leave the rubber rear feet exposed so there is resistance to sliding when the PF button is used.

These are the topics I can think of at this moment but certainly not all things.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

FotonDrv (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

Here are the Hopper Mods I have done.

Mazzer Mini Hopper

Aluminum tube w/piston fit weight of 400+g to simulate a partially full Ceado hopper. String allows retrieving the weight from the bottom of the tube and also acts as sort of a floppy dip stick. When the bead it at the top you are out of beans.

HG-One Blind Tumbler on top of OE Tall funnel. Makes for a short hopper with anti-popcorn stopper, but the lower edge of the OE Funnel does not extend all the way down to the throat of the grinder, just into the rubber hopper retainer.

Clear acrylic tube with acrylic rod as piston weight. It works, but add way to much to the top height of the grinder.

NightFlight

#3: Post by NightFlight »

FotonDrv wrote:I have had a couple of Ceado grinders, an E37 and an E37s, and there are a few Mods that have come to mind.

A different hopper, either smaller or a single dosing set up.
The Mazzer Mini hopper fits but in my opinion looks shabby. 1st Line carriers the Ceado Mini hopper and in my opinon looks nice but it costs $85. Another option and one I like is the one you have featured in another thread; is the HG one tumbler. In fact I will most likely buy the Ceado hopper and the HG One tumbler, if not for personal use; then for resale purposes.

Static Flap removal has been brought up but I have not done that, yet.
I am also looking into this with an eye towards a clump busting system like the mythos. I think what is needed is a way to slow down the grinds as they leave the burrs. This is a balance between clogging and spraying or static and I think we can figure something out. I currently have an instamorph cover over the chute which works alright and allows the SCC system to be opened further but is not very attractive and will not be a final solution.

An addition of another push button to actuate the grinder motor and leave the existing gear intact.
This was the comment in the other thread that got my attention and I will need to have you provide pictures or a sketch of what you intend to do. I am not shy of electronics or doing electrical work as long as it is reversible and I thought that a different switch to bypass the electronics completely might be better in the event that the electronics went out like you had in the early days and which must have been a real PITA.

Adding felt pads on the front rubber feet of the grinder so the grinder and be slid out from under a cabinet easily. Leave the rubber rear feet exposed so there is resistance to sliding when the PF button is used.
This is not an issue for me at this time as my grinder is on a bar and does not have any cabinets above it. I do feel everyone's pain here and will give thought to some solutions.

These are the topics I can think of at this moment but certainly not all things.
If there is anything that anyone can think of and suggest, I am open to hearing about it.

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 »

Who had the enclosed chute mod?

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

I have considered a small platform that slides onto the PF posts that will hold a scale so a scale and a basket w/funnel will fit under the Ceado spout. It would go along with the top mounted pulse button mod.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

spearfish25 wrote:Who had the enclosed chute mod?
Not me, but if it is not spraying grounds all over the place then it is not necessary. If you wanted a chute cover then get a piece of 1-1/8" I.D. box tubing or channel and cut/file to fit.

spearfish25

#7: Post by spearfish25 »

FotonDrv wrote:I have considered a small platform that slides onto the PF posts that will hold a scale so a scale and a basket w/funnel will fit under the Ceado spout. It would go along with the top mounted pulse button mod.
Extending the posts would be helpful. The higher the PF gets, the further back the grinds shoot into it. I tried putting my little scale on the current posts but the scale doesn't stay put and the grinds are going towards the back of the PF at that height.

brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

FotonDrv wrote:Not me, but if it is not spraying grounds all over the place then it is not necessary. If you wanted a chute cover then get a piece of 1-1/8" I.D. box tubing or channel and cut/file to fit.
I simply used a glossy white postcard thing so grinds don't stick to it and black electrical tape on the outside so it doesn't look half bad. This is just an insurance policy to avoid the issue if it ever were to rear its ugly head again. I attempted to source a more elegant aluminum or acrylic solution but it turned out too expensive or difficult to locate.

I wanted to thank you for the many ideas you have brought forward.
spearfish25 wrote:Extending the posts would be helpful. The higher the PF gets, the further back the grinds shoot into it. I tried putting my little scale on the current posts but the scale doesn't stay put and the grinds are going towards the back of the PF at that height.
You could also consider adding a rubber cover to the grind button. This would fix the slippery-ness of the button (I added clear tape to prevent scratching the body of the grinder around the button from slips) and also extend out the portafilter further

spearfish25

#9: Post by spearfish25 »

brianl wrote:You could also consider adding a rubber cover to the grind button. This would fix the slippery-ness of the button (I added clear tape to prevent scratching the body of the grinder around the button from slips) and also extend out the portafilter further
I have yet to slip off the button and scratch the grinder. That being said, it'll probably happen tomorrow morning.

SonVolt

#10: Post by SonVolt »

I slipped once and it was enough to switch the settings so I didn't have to hold the button down.