Ceado E37S vs Compak K3 - less fruit/acidity

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 15, 2019, 10:31 pm

I upgraded from a Compak K3 touch to a Ceado e37s grinder.

The Ceado e37s grinder is a incredible grinder. I love the quality of it. However, I noticed a change in flavor profile of the espresso.

For years I been using Wild Gifts El Tejo beans. It has a fruit punch to it with a light roast that I love. My Silvia brings out those high fruit notes and acidity that I like alot. I usually do 20-27 sec shots for 18 grams.

However, since I switched to the Ceado, I don't get the same high fruit notes/acidity that I used to get with the Compak. This is with the same beans, shot time range, and grams. The flavor is more on the flat side and less on the high fruit notes/acidity side.

Why is this? And is there a way to correct this with the Ceado? I guess I could try under extract to like 17 seconds but that doesn't seem good.

def

Postby def » Mar 20, 2019, 7:30 am

I don't have an answer to your question, and in fact I suspect it is the coffee, not the grinder. In my experience, a grinder is not capable of completely changing the flavor of a coffee. You can grind very fine and dose very low, and get a different balance of flavors versus grinding coarse and dosing higher. It will change the flavor of the shot, but if you are comparing two grinders with all of the same shot parameters, then the shots should taste fairly similar. There will be subtle differences, but not dramatic differences like you describe. This is my opinion based on my experience, and two people can disagree on subtle versus dramatic flavor differences. Bottom line -- make sure you are comparing apples to apples. IOW, make two shots with your two grinders using the same batch of coffee, same extraction parameters, and then taste these side-by-side.