Ceado E37S Quick Set Gear Upgrade

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mallen4248

#1: Post by mallen4248 »

I purchased my Ceado E37S assuming it was the latest model and it turned out it was not. WLL told me shortly after I purchased the grinder that there was an upgrade kit that would soon be available. WLL put my name down for a back order and called Tuesday of this week that it was in and I could complete the order. The kit came in today and I was able to install in just a few minutes. Only downside was thinking I had adjusted the carrier to be close to the old carrier and it was off to the coarse side, and I burned through some of my Dragonfly Crema Dolce getting it close. Not a bad $100 upgrade, of course I only got that price because I had just bought the grinder and I preordered the kit.

With my top burr from the old carrier installed.

Ready to go tomorrow morning!
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

cyclist

#2: Post by cyclist »

No swing out function like E37SD for different brew methods, they keep cost saving further and further but still want to charge Commercial price tag.

mallen4248 (original poster)

#3: Post by mallen4248 (original poster) replying to cyclist »

Yeah the swing out feature would have been fantastic, but sadly not included on this. However the worm gear is a great improvement over the old system, mine was always tight. On the old carrier if you put enough pressure to move, it generally moved too far.

cyclist

#4: Post by cyclist replying to mallen4248 »

I know, I got the old version, and yes it is PIA to do small adjustments. But for 200$ without swing out gear, it is really a incomplete upgrade IMO. They could ask a couple more dollars, and include that over engineered bolt.

CarloM

#5: Post by CarloM »

Cool! Mine arrives Monday. Question: did it mess with your burr alignment at all when you took it off the old top mount and put it on the new one? I guess there's no real easy way to measure alignment, but I guess what I'm asking is, once you dialed it in, are you getting the same resulting grind from the chute?

I ask because while I'm sure a good amount of the improvement of my 37S over my old Mazzer Mini was due to the 83mm vs. 64mm burrs, I think another part of it may have been burr misalignment. I was unaware of what that term meant a few months ago, but now having heard what it sounds like, I think Mazzer definitely suffered from it. Because even on its best day it didn't come close to the 37S. Using the exact same bean blend I'd always get a static-y result no matter how finely or loosely I ground it. And I could always hear a bit of that "chirping" of the burrs, because if I backed it off where there was no chirp, the extraction was way too fast, and in order to get a decent paced extraction it had to be at a grind setting where there would be an intermittent chirp when the burrs were empty (i.e. when I'd be replenishing beans).

So I'm paranoid about messing up what I think is near perfect alignment of my 37S when I transfer the burr to the new top mount on Monday.

#6: Post by mallen4248 (original poster) »

CarloM wrote:Cool! Mine arrives Monday. Question: did it mess with your burr alignment at all when you took it off the old top mount and put it on the new one? I guess there's no real easy way to measure alignment, but I guess what I'm asking is, once you dialed it in, are you getting the same resulting grind from the chute?

So I'm paranoid about messing up what I think is near perfect alignment of my 37S when I transfer the burr to the new top mount on Monday.
The setting did change, the alignment did not. I just removed the burr trying to remember which screw hole was "up" toward the back of the carrier and screwed it down after cleaning. There were some grinds and chaff underneath and on the backside of the burr. Try to match the height of the movable portion of the burr carrier before mounting the burr. It will get you close but be prepared to grind away some beans dialing it back in. The adjustment marking ring can be moved to suit what you want it to read. All in all taking your time, it's a 10-15 minute job at most and that includes cleaning the grinder. I like it much better than the old adjustment. Good luck!

CarloM

#7: Post by CarloM replying to mallen4248 »

Cool. Thanks for the info! As you may have seen in my review thread I've taken apart my e37 so I'm at least familiar with all of that process. And I did change burrs on my old mazzer so I assume that part of the process will be similar. I was just more concerned about the manufacturing tolerance of the new part still aligning the same way on the grinder so that the burrs remain in perfect alignment-or at least the same as they are now for me. I have no way of knowing if it's perfect but I get excellent results and am hoping once I dial in the grind again I'll be back to the same grind quality. But thanks for the reminder, I'll pick up another half pound of beans in the morning.

Paul_green

#8: Post by Paul_green »

I was in a similar situation--ordered the E37S, and then paid WLL $100 for the upgrade kit. Haven't received mine yet--but curious: does the hopper fit in the throat as it did with the old adjustment lever installed? I'm ordering an aftermarket hopper, and they're telling me that I need to wait until they create an "adapter kit" for the new Ceado w/the quick set gear. I'm thinking, though, that the upgrade kit must be slightly different from the unit that's sold with the quick set gear from the factory, because otherwise, my existing hopper wouldn't fit...

#9: Post by mallen4248 (original poster) replying to Paul_green »

Instead Of the rubber cap that covers the entire top and throat of the upper burr carrier on the old version, there is a rubber sleeve in the throat. If you look at the 2nd picture you can see what I'm talking about. The Ceado hopper fits the new carrier exactly as the old one, so any other hopper would fit the same on both.

Neto

#10: Post by Neto »

thats a nice setup