Ceado E37S manual - Adjust grind setting only with motor running?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JonF

#1: Post by JonF »

When you change settings a little to adjust brew times, do you really follow the instructions? From the manual:
Always take care to move the lever/knob with the motor turning and empty (without coffee between the burrs). To do this you can operate the shutter (5 Fig. 2) at the base of the hopper to stop or resume the dropping of the coffee beans into the grinding mechanism."
I can't quite imagine doing this every time I want to make an adjustment, so I was wondering what you do in real life? [Not counting single-dosing, of course.]

Thanks!

def

#2: Post by def »

No. When you adjust finer, you should do so with the motor running otherwise it is possible to freeze the bottom burr from spinning. This applies to just about all grinders, but you may find you can make minor adjustments without jamming the burrs. When adjusting coarser, you don't need to have the motor running. You will waste some coffee beans by running the motor while adjusting finer, but just be quick.

Also, it is never necessary to empty all of the beans out of the grinder feed to make a grind adjustment.

stevier

#3: Post by stevier »

I don't think I've ever had to make week to week or bean to bean adjustments while worrying about beans in there. Generally, I've found my usable range between 2 of the numeric markers (say, 7-9), so that's as much as I'd move to cover any change (actual numbers aren't usable elsewhere, just to demonstrate +/-). So yeah, you'll be fine tweaking things with the motor off.

CarloM

#4: Post by CarloM »

I was surprised to see that warning in the online instruction sheet as well. Most grinders I've seen/owned say to make adjustment while the burrs are turning...can't recall one that said the burr chamber should be empty.

Out of an abundance of caution I only made changes while the chamber was empty, but it seems to be a very powerful/robust machine and I can't imagine it would be damaged or misaligned if you were to adjust the grind setting while the burrs were turning even if beans were in the chamber. But again, just was being extra-cautious.