Ceado E37K review

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by StoicDude »

I acquired this grinder last week and figured I'd post about it here considering that I have not been able to find anything about it on here and there are very few thing online about it too.

My goal is to expand on this if people are interested and share some information about a grinder that we don't have much information about.

I know that DaveC and a few others did a great job on sharing their Ceado E92 information, but the E37K has remained somewhat of a mystery.

If you are not familiar with it, it's a 71mm conical burr grinder, with a very low rpm grinding speed.

Here is Ceado s link. https://coffee.ceado.com/en/products/26 ... and/9-e37k

If you have specific questions or want something to know, I'll be happy to provide it.

It seems that my preference in coffee has been medium, medium-dark blends and medium naturals as my favorite and this grinder does a great job on both for me.

I have a Mazzer Omega, Lido OG, Eureka Specialita and an old SJ with SSP Cast v2 burrs that I can run and compare it to.

I m sure that a Niche Zero would do a very good job at what does grinder does, for a fraction of the price as well.

Here are some pictures of it and I will try to keep this updated.

I'm running it as a single doser right now. Tried the hopper method and it's just giant for me for now.

If you want to keep to a certain format for a review, I'll be happy to go by that too.

Next to the Specialita

Pulled shot

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by buckersss »

Beautiful! I suggest removing the metal clump crusher visible at the top of the chute. I think it's easier to access when you have the gasket removed. One tiny Philips is holding it in place I believe.

Splatcat

#3: Post by Splatcat »

I run an e37s and I love it. BUT. Unfortunately I can read and I've read conicals produce thicker more syrupy shots, which is exactly what I like. Ive been looking at the max types but I really do love my Ceado and the build quality. while the price of the E37k is a bit cuckoo caca insano, Im confident Ceado's will last a lifetime. Love to hear more.

StoicDude (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by StoicDude (original poster) »

buckersss wrote:Beautiful! I suggest removing the metal clump crusher visible at the top of the chute. I think it's easier to access when you have the gasket removed. One tiny Philips is holding it in place I believe.
Copy that!

Already on that. I don't think it really does anything.

I ordered a Eureka one which I hope helps.

I haven't really experienced a huge deal of clumping when single dosing. Only thing I've noticed is that there is slight retention on the sides of the metal chute. It's usually .2-.5 grams there after I sweep it with a brush.

I think that the Eureka ACS will fit and remedy the minor retention.

As you can see in one of the pictures, clumping appeared to be an issue when hopper fed. I ll elaborate on this, because it could have been user error and new burrs possibly.

I found the zero point by hand and moved the gear from that point, 0 on the numbers, to 1.5. At that time the grinder was grinding so fine that it would choke my machine and the grounds were coming out close to a paste consistency. This was while hopper fed and brand new.
The clump buster/ flap didn't do anything really in my opinion and experience.

I believe that the Eureka system will do a much better job here because it is shaped like this, where it might assist with distributing the ground coffee better. It works awesome in my Specialita in my opinion.
I'll report back when I get it.

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by StoicDude (original poster) »

Splatcat wrote:I run an e37s and I love it. BUT. Unfortunately I can read and I've read conicals produce thicker more syrupy shots, which is exactly what I like. Ive been looking at the max types but I really do love my Ceado and the build quality. while the price of the E37k is a bit cuckoo caca insano, Im confident Ceado's will last a lifetime. Love to hear more.
I'm liking syrupy, thicker shots as well so that played a role in my decision as well.

I am pretty sure Niche Zero would be very close if not identical to the style of shot as the E37K, but I dont have one to compare it to.
I can run a comparison between the Mazzer Omega and the E37K. David vs Titan, maybe?

Here is the grind chamber after single dosing for about a week. This is approximately 3-4 espressos a day.

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Paris92 »

StoicDude wrote:The clump buster/flap didn't do anything really in my opinion and experience.
From various videos I have watched, and what I have read about my E37J, the flap is there to help reduce, or eliminate, static.

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by StoicDude (original poster) replying to Paris92 »

I honestly have no idea if it even does that. I will install the Erueka one when it comes and see if there is difference.

Not sure how I would establish static was present, but for me, if the grounds are sticking to the chute, that would be static. Maybe I'll take it off completely and see if there is a difference and report back.

Right now, the grind looks very good to excellent and produces excellent shots for me.

Did an Americano blind test and let the wife partake. She picked the Ceado over the Specialita.

I did too. It was a better more balanced drink in my opinion, but it wasn't night and day. Medium dark roast, Blind Dog Tanner s Roast to be exact.
★ Helpful

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by StoicDude (original poster) »

Quick update here.

Installed the Eureka ACS and promptly took it out. It made retention worse.

Ceado's set up has been fine and I'm leaving it at that.

Some things discovered. If I use RDT the in and out weight is dead on. It might vary by .1g but that's pretty impressive to me.

I do have a bellows on top that I just pulse.

Consistency for yield has been phenomenal. Today I pulled 4 shots and they were all within a gram in yield.

I didnt write them down, but ended up doing 15.2, 15.5 x3 in and all my yields were 24. Something in 32 seconds. That was pretty stellar. Ill try it again tomorrow and report back.

Taste has been very good to excellent.

Negatives: Not suited for different grind levels. Trying to go from espresso to French press is a giant pain in the butt because you have to keep on turning the woem gear for a while.

I m not 100% on this but going from espresso to French press and back to espresso seemed to have my original espresso setting shifted.

I might try this again and see how it is because the burrs might have been breaking in, so I can't say with certainty.

Internal view of the anti static device.

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by StoicDude (original poster) »

A couple of updates here. I doubt this grinder will gain any popularity for home use, but if you come across a good deal, or find one used, here is some stuff I've tried and experienced.

Single dosing, although a bit involved, has been working really well for me. However, I usually run through a bag of coffee and might try another bag just in between, but I dont switch grind setting back and forth so the repeatability was not something I tried on this grinder.

As stated previously, going to filter grind and back to espresso I'm done with. Too much work to get from my marked espresso range at 1, to filter, which was at about 4.

However, since I had some cheap coffee beans, I figured I'd try the Orphan Espresso funnel and weight and see how it works for on demand.

I load 90g in and have the weight on top. The weight is close to 250g.

I use spacers to lift the funnel because the E37K has a very long bolt and "propeler" on top for feeding, so the weight touches the top of the he bolt. Although it doesn't cause any harm, I try to keep it off the bolt.

This was with a dark roast, Peets Major Dickason, and its primarily used for machiatos and lattes.

Dose is 14.5, looking for 25 out in about 27 sec.

My flow was, purge 1 sec, then grind 2 doses. Purge was at 1 sec, dose at 4.50.

I measured the dose every morning for the last 5 days. Purge was at 3.5 majority of the time. Had one at 3.2 and one at 3.7.

As for doses majority was at 14.5 occasional 14.3 and one outlier at 13.8.

I removed the anti static plate but might put it back to see how it does with that.

Dosing directly into the portafilter without the plate was not very good in my opinion. The stream would pull left, but I luckily had a dosing funnel on top which kept it inside. The antistatic plate might address this.

Here is the grinder with the OE funnel.

As for taste, it was straight up chocolate. Nothing extraordinary, but a solid machiato or latte. I usually mix my machiato with half and half and love the body and finish.

And this mornings result.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by StoicDude (original poster) »

Been playing with it more and running it against my SJ with SSP Cast burrs.

I have to say this grinder is really growing on me and delivering exceptional espresso in my opinion.

Dosing has been tracked with weight in and out and I'm less than .3g on all my in/out weights. I'd day the majority of the time it's dead on.

Last 4 I did were 15.5 in and 15.5 out when grinding.

I'm pulling ristrettos with the current coffee, 1 to 1.5, temp at 92, 30 Second pull 24 out and it's awesome!

The biggest thing that sticks out from this grinder to me is the finish. It lasts for a very long time and it's really awesome to have that memorable shot just stick with you for 30 minutes after.

I'll update more when I get a chance.

Doing updates when drinking about 2-3 shots a day takes a while.