Can't calibrate Baratza Vario?!?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cmin

#1: Post by cmin »

Ok, got my grinder back from Baratza. Now I'm having a different, odd, issue. Cannot get it calibrated. Done it before no problem. Right now its on Macro 3 and almost completely jams and struggles grinding, Macro 4 is too coarse. Adjusting the screw doesn't seem to make a difference, Macro 3 too fine and 4 too coarse (obviously fiddling with the micro lol). I just went through 2 lbs trying to dial in this morning and gave up :x

mrjag

#2: Post by mrjag »

Maybe the burrs are misaligned (not parallel with each other). Try removing the hopper, pulling out the top burr, clean up any dusty buildup, then reassemble. The bottom burr is significantly more difficult to get to, so hopefully that isn't an issue.

Also, did you perform the 'burrs touching' calibration with the bean hopper empty? I'm wondering if something slipped during shipping. It's an easy process and worth doing yourself even if it was done at the factory, to ensure your fine point is set to a reasonable adjustment level.

cmin (original poster)

#3: Post by cmin (original poster) »

Yeah that's what's weird, calibrated by the touching sound so it's at Macro 3 and micro in the middle, which previously is where it was always calibrated around and then just moved micro depending on beans. Except grinding where it is now it struggles and bogs down and almost jams, but then going to Macro 4 is too coarse when pulling a shot.

mrjag

#4: Post by mrjag »

I'll double check my settings when I get back home, but I believe I have the touch calibration at 3-L and my preferred grind around 4-E.

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

cmin wrote:Yeah that's what's weird, calibrated by the touching sound so it's at Macro 3 and micro in the middle, which previously is where it was always calibrated around and then just moved micro depending on beans. Except grinding where it is now it struggles and bogs down and almost jams, but then going to Macro 4 is too coarse when pulling a shot.
Have you ever opened it up? I have a forte and it actually allows ground coffee to get into the body. I had a coarse particle stuck in the primary gear. I suspect when that part ran over the pulley it tilted the bottom burr. Baratza did not find it when they had it, I honestly don't think they even opened it.

I can't imagine having it in the main gear was good for it!
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

nuketopia

#6: Post by nuketopia »

If you look near the exit chute and the adjustment screw, there's a square rubber plug. Pull it off and you'll see a second adjustment screw there.

With the grinder upright, set the levers at maximum coarse setting. Use a tool, like an allen wrench or a small screwdriver. Gently poke at the hidden adjustment screw back and forth, side to side until you feel it fall into place. It's loose on purpose and there's a small "T" towards the front and a notch in the metal bar that's supposed to sit on it. It cam come off this while shipping or if you try to adjust it while the grinder is upside down. In fact, if it seems stuck, turn the grinder over and free it.

Then take the funnel off, check that the upper burr carrier is fully seated, with the wings of the carrier fully tight to the stops.

If that doesn't cure it, call Baratza.

AcidRain

#7: Post by AcidRain »

Sounds to me there is no problem here.

It is normal to be too fine at 3 and too coarse at 4. If the grind wasn't changing between macro steps, that would be a problem. Macro adjustments make a huge difference in the grind and this is why you should dial your grind with the micro-adjustments too. It can be tough at the beginning and this is why there is a procedure made by Baratza with reference values to get you started.

You don't adjust your grind with the tool provided, and you don't do it either with the ''secret'' adjustment. You do it with your Macro and Micro settings. Everything should be fine, and if it is not, and you are not able to dial in a shot, the problem is somewhere else. And the somwhere else is probably not the calibration if it was made by Baratza. The calibration is only made to take benefits of a wider range of grind between fine and coarse. Maybe we can dial in a shot the same way: my grinder at 4-G and yours at 6-C. With the ''stock'' and ''recommanded'' calibration by the manufacturer, some people are not able to get a coarse enough grind (french press, by example...), so they play with the ''secret'' adjustment.

I would look for parts that could be displaced in the shipment method. The burrs idea could be checked (unlocking the top burr would maybe require a kickoff kick but well...) but the ''secret'' adjustment is very sensitive and without beeing displaced, the screw could be loose or the ''T'' fit dislodged of something.

Users can help but not as much as the Baratza staff. They got a pretty good customer service and if you drop them a call they will assist you troubleshooting the grinder step by step. This way you could save the not so funny part of the history that consists sending back the grinder to them.

Good luck !

cmin (original poster)

#8: Post by cmin (original poster) »

Figured it out after disassembly. After removing the burr, cleaning it again etc, still same problem. Disassembled it again and noticed the flap inside the chute was causing blockage, a lot of blockage. I removed it previously but guess they replaced it when they checked it. Took the chute out and flipped the flap upside down again. Same grind settings, 3J and no more bogging or clumping etc, I single dose anyway. That flap was causing grinds to really get backed up in the burr chamber and jam it up.

Ahhh back to yummy shots and coffee