Cafflano Krinder (Kickstarter)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nrh

#1: Post by nrh »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cafflano/krinder

Cafflano is introducing a grinder to their lineup. If interested, it is now on Kickstarter.

Thoughts? :?:
Nick H.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Interesting grinder. At the $54 price it might be worth taking a chance but there's not enough information to tell if the inner burr is really supportd well enough. Then again if you're using any of the ceramic burr grinders, this might be a dramatic step up for a reasonable price. Might also make a really nice pepper grinder.

Ira

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

Looks like burr wobble in the first two sequences in the video. The last sequence seems better for some reason and he does pull an espresso, guess time well tell if that's actually doable. No info on the burr size, wouldn't feel confident that it's a better buy than Aergrind at the retail price though.

wachuko

#4: Post by wachuko »

I do not want another plastic internals grinder... got plenty of those that eventually give me issues. Heck, I just got another one the other day bought out of impulse (TIMEMORE C for 89.00)...

I will spend a few more $ and get something that is all made out of metal (aluminum, stainless steel, etc.)

But that is just me...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

jtrops

#5: Post by jtrops »

wachuko wrote:I do not want another plastic internals grinder... got plenty of those that eventually give me issues. Heck, I just got another one the other day bought out of impulse (TIMEMORE C for 89.00)...

I will spend a few more $ and get something that is all made out of metal (aluminum, stainless stell, etc.)

But that is just me...
Nope, not just you.

sonnylowe

#6: Post by sonnylowe »

Had a friend ask me about this yesterday, I agree with the above two post...WHY!?!? There are plenty of plastic low cost grinders out there with proven track records, why another one?

Even if it has a great set of burrs, what good does it do if they can't stay in alignment due to plastic body?

Hard pass for me!!
LMWDP #597

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

Plastic is not all bad. I don't know if it's still that way, but the first time I saw a Commandant, the interior bearing supports were plastic. So, it's possible if they used the correct plastic and designed it right it will be just fine. Sadly, the short time I spent looking at it did not give me confidence, but I'm sure I could design an excellent plastic coffee grinder if asked. There are some rather amazing plastics out there.

Ira

Charlemagne

#8: Post by Charlemagne »

I've designed and 3D printed 3 different hand grinders from PLA plastic with great results. Part of the fun for me is working with the limitations of the material and the printer. I think plastic has a bad reputation partly because it's used to cut costs and use as little material as possible. When you use extra material it's definitely possible to produce a quality product from plastic. Of course metal is better in many important ways, but plastic has many useful characteristics.

vlotty

#9: Post by vlotty »

wachuko wrote:I do not want another plastic internals grinder... got plenty of those that eventually give me issues. Heck, I just got another one the other day bought out of impulse (TIMEMORE C for 89.00)...

I will spend a few more $ and get something that is all made out of metal (aluminum, stainless steel, etc.)

But that is just me...
May I ask if you got the original C or the updated C2? It's been hard to verify what exactly they changed on the C2, if it's only the bottom canister plastic->metal or if they also upgraded the shaft stabilization and bearings. How would you describe how the C/C2 stabilizes the shaft? All plastic? Sturdy and with tight tolerances to reduce/eliminate wobble?

I've been thinking of getting this dedicated for pour over as it's a hassle to change burrs on my Helor 101, and I don't want to wear out the espresso burrs prematurely.

Then, I saw this Kickstarter/Indiegogo and thought maybe this would work, but Cafflano is being cagey about their shaft and bearing mechanism (while touting steel burrs), my guess is it's all plastic and no separate bearings.

Bluenoser

#10: Post by Bluenoser »

But that is just me...
Anyone ever try the Danish crushgrind Columbia. Ceramic but been looking at odd video and seems capable of espresso. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c ... ee-grinder I'm looking for a so so grinder for the odd trip. This one is 3 years in so maybe kinks worked out