Burrs, Carriers, Micrometers & Math OR Why some [KA] grinders s*ck - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:Later, Mr. Kehn disparaged the MC4 as "one of the clumpiest" grinders extant, but I haven't found it to be the case.
I don't recall the particular post, but the Macap MC4 model I used did suffer from clumping, I assume because of compaction at the chamber exit. The "snout" also collected lots of coffee. Perhaps the difference you see is a matter of grind setting, coffee used, or humidity? Just a guess, I've read reports of owners who, like you, are fully satisfied with the MC4 and others that complained of excessive clumping. Since I only used it for a day or two versus the months I typically put towards a review, I cannot say if my experience was representative.

On a related note, the Macap MXK was one of the clumpiest grinders I've ever used, but also one of the easiest to dial in. It only goes to show that when it comes to many things, including grinders, looks aren't everything.
Dan Kehn

cafeIKE (original poster)

#12: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

The MC4 'snout' can collect a lot of coffee, but the snout is 'cleared' on a per shot basis, with a good brush out at the end of the day and a 2 ~ 3 gram 'cleaning grind' at the start of the next. But, that's another topic :wink:

EDIT : Dan actually said "especially for clumpy grinders like yours" in Is a full doser always a sign of a bad cafe? :oops: