Burr geometry + modalities for Eureka 75 & Mythos burrsets

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by buckersss »

Hi all, there is some good information in a number of HB threads on the atom 75 and alike burrs. Im trying to understand better. Im wondering what are all the burr options available (less interested in coating and more interested in geometry). I was wondering If you could provide me some feedback. Ive summarized my best understanding below. thanks!

Unimodal ----------------> Least amount of fines
Brew / Multipurpose -------> Small number of fines
High Uniformity -----------> Some amount of fines
Low Uniformity / Bimodal ---> Most amount of fines

Burr Geometry Pattern A:
- Aka OEM Eureka Atom 75 (and Olympus 75) 75mm
- High Uniformity?
- Available in Steel, Titanium, Red Speed

Burr Geometry Pattern B:
- Aka OEM Atom Pro 75mm
- Unimodal
- Available in Steel

Burr Geometry Pattern C Im inclined to think this is the same as Pattern A, but have listed separately for now
- Aka OEM Mythos 74mm
- High Uniformity?
- Available in Steel, Titanium, Red Speed

Burr Geometry Pattern D
- Aka Mytho 74mm SSP MP
- Multipurpose / Brew
- Available in Red Speed, Silver Knight, TiCN, DLC

Burr Geometry Pattern E
- Aka Mytho 74mm SSP HU
- High Uniformity
- Available in Red Speed, Silver Knight, TiCN, DLC

Mythos OEM and SSP Mythos burrs are described as 74mm. where as the Eureka OEM burrs are described as 75mm. They are interchangeable though, correct? I read that Belle Barista even ships their Olympus with Mythos burrs, and everything ive read suggests this.

Thanks all.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

The naming is, unfortunately, not even consistent between 64 and 98 mm SSP burrs. To complicate things further, in at least one case, different cuts with different characteristics have been sold under the same name in the same grinder.

Tabulating the options is good, but I'm not sure about drawing conclusions based on naming of other burr series, or even within the series.

Advertisement
buckersss (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by buckersss (original poster) »

that is certainly very unfortunate. thanks for the insight.

Do you mean in practice, or even theoretically the naming scheme changes depending on burr size?

Curious to at least know if the SSP burrs are in fact cut differently. I had read this much, and I have to assume given the cost, that the geometries are different from the eureka/Mythos OEM geometries. otherwise why fork out the cash. also trying to discern if they are compatible too.