Bunn G3 HD burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sassypants15

#1: Post by sassypants15 »

Hello

I noticed someone tossing a bunn g3 in the trash at a grocery store and I asked if I could have it . They told me yes. So I took it home and started to clean it up. I'm not sure how old the burrs are so here is a photo. They still need some cleaning. I was wondering how worn these burrs are and if they need replacing right away

ira
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ira »

Wow, quite a score. I'd try them, they don't look to bad, if you decide to replace them SSP makes replacement burrs.

Ira

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
sassypants15 (original poster)

#3: Post by sassypants15 (original poster) »

Yes . I was very excited to get it home. I use hand grinders currently. I have a kinu 47 and a 1z kpro. I've never owned a flat burr grinder. Thanks for the burr recommendation.

ira
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ira »

How dirty was the grinder? The more I look at them, the more I think you got an almost new grinder.

Ira

Porkman
Supporter

#5: Post by Porkman »

I have a nearly new set of stock g1 burrs, and they look very similar to yours. Sounds like you got a great deal, congrats!

#6: Post by sassypants15 (original poster) »

Another question. What can I use to clean or brush off some of the old coffee?

ira
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by ira »

Old toothbrush. Any small stiff plastic bristle brush. Also a takeout bamboo chopstick and bamboo skewers help for getting clumps loose and scraping coffee out of groves..

Ira

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
jb-0101

#8: Post by jb-0101 »

If you're going to replace, get the Ditting lab sweet burrs!

#9: Post by sassypants15 (original poster) »

Last question. How are these machines for pour over coffee? Say like 30 or 40 grams.

Thanks

ira
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by ira »

They are fine, you just need to bang on them a bit to get the coffee out. Do that and the retention is not bad. You can also work on smoothing out the exit path which I hear also helps.

Ira