Brush for cleaning flat burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I have Ditting KR804 with cast burrs. I clean the burr discs about every 6 weeks. I use a toothbrush but it takes awhile since toothbrushes are not that firm. I also have a boar's hair brush but it is also not hard. Any firm brushes that would help clean faster?

I have seen videos of people cleaning grinders with small rectangle shaped brushes that looked to have firm and dense bristle but I can find none.

Any recommendations?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Try an art supply store. The stubby ones are often called "brights".

There are also brushes used for cleaning printed-circuit boards available through distributors, such as https://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/C ... ?P=1yzxopn

I use the Techspray 2032 for its intended purpose, but it looks like it might work on big, flat burrs as well. It's really short and really stiff, for getting the post-soldering gunk off the pads.

Advertisement
belegnole

#3: Post by belegnole »

Acavia wrote:
Any recommendations?
Next time you're in a hardware store (I know home depot has them) ask for a flux brush. They're cheap and you can just trim the bristles to the length that you want. Last I checked they were available individually or in a pack.
LMWDP #641

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bmccall »

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

I have a group head brush with incredibly stiff nylon bristles, should work great on burrs too (I abuse the thing on other items to clean regularly)
LMWDP #483

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by TenLayers »

Wouldn't a brass brush work well on cast?
https://www.mcmaster.com/brushes/abrasi ... ial~brass/

KG4NEL

#7: Post by KG4NEL »

I use a boar's hair brush that was originally sold as an auto detail brush. Read the reviews, as not all of them are created equal - some are horrendous about losing bristles immediately. I think mine was made in Wisconsin, seems pretty good.

Advertisement
Acavia (original poster)

#8: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:I have a group head brush with incredibly stiff nylon bristles, should work great on burrs too (I abuse the thing on other items to clean regularly)
I got some of the ~1 inch long group head bristle brushes. I have not used them yet but they seem as they will work. Thanks.

Sideshow

#9: Post by Sideshow »

I got some of those dental picks that they use at the dentist's office. I run some cleaning pellets through the grinder, disassemble the burrs, and clean the top and bottom with a dental pick. I go through each individual crevice on each burr with the pick. For the top, I do it over a trash can, and for the bottom, I do it and then run a vacuum to suck out everything. Works very well and doesn't take that long surprisingly.