BPLUS Apollo manual hand grinder - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
davidhunternyc

#51: Post by davidhunternyc »

ira wrote:You might consider trying to find a thin plastic washer and put it between the nut and whatever it tightens against. That might solve the problem you're having.
Ira
Thank you, Ira, for the suggestion but even after using vice grips neither me nor the guys at the hardware store could loosen the locknut from the body. On top of this the grinder got all scratched to hell. It's a mess now and not worth saving, hence, why I'm now considering the Apollo. I just wonder if the Apollo is the best handheld manual grinder as of now?

ira
Team HB

#52: Post by ira »

Well, if it's headed for scrap, I'd love to try and resurrect it. Happy to pay shipping and something additional if I get it working.

Ira

spressomon

#53: Post by spressomon »

I have 4 little nitpicks with my Apollo:

1) The thumb screw that retains the handle to the burr shaft is difficult to tighten sufficiently. Maybe a knurled edge or different shape would cure it.

2) I really (previously mentioned in this thread) would appreciate finer thread pitch on the burr shaft for espresso grinding.

3) I've had the grind setting change (to the coarser) while grinding. I haven't determined if I rubbed it while grinding or there's another issue.

4) Threading the catch cup on/off isn't a deal breaker but methinks I'd prefer the magnetic retention system of the Kinu M47.

But the shape, ergonomics (for a hand grinder anyway :roll: ), relative grinding efficiency, quality of the machining & anodizing are high points for any country of origin but especially all things China.
No Espresso = Depresso

AssafL

#54: Post by AssafL »

davidhunternyc wrote:Thank you, Ira, for the suggestion but even after using vice grips neither me nor the guys at the hardware store could loosen the locknut from the body. On top of this the grinder got all scratched to hell. It's a mess now and not worth saving, hence, why I'm now considering the Apollo. I just wonder if the Apollo is the best handheld manual grinder as of now?
Vice grips on a grinder? Ugh...

Usually you'd grip it with a rubber pad or wound in an inner bike tube. And if it won't loosen use a penetrating oil or a heater (induction or otherwise) to break the grip.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

maxbmello

#55: Post by maxbmello »

I think you can't go wrong with the m47 or Apollo - both are in the top tier of hand grinders. Personally, I prefer the m47 and love mine, and after hearing some slight negative feedback in adjustment size in the Apollo, glad I chose the kinu. I am never left wanting for finer resolution steps.

That being said, there's an Apollo for sale right now on the BS thread at a great deal, and would jump on that if I were you. Unless the aesthetics of the kinu is worth the price premium in your mind.

GregoryJ

#56: Post by GregoryJ »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the burr separation associated with one click on the adjustment? I think it would just be the thread pitch divided by the number of clicks per revolution (50?).

ojt

#57: Post by ojt »

maxbmello wrote:I think you can't go wrong with the m47 or Apollo - both are in the top tier of hand grinders. Personally, I prefer the m47 and love mine, and after hearing some slight negative feedback in adjustment size in the Apollo, glad I chose the kinu. I am never left wanting for finer resolution steps.
Exactly the same experience here. I was able to quickly try Apollo, and for some reason was unable to dial it in. One click was just too big of a change. To be fair though, this was at a party and I didn't have any of my own equipment (all Pavonis though) and an unknown bean. Back home I nailed the same bean in two tries.

But there are too many positive experiences about Apollo to ignore. It's probably me and my preferences that favor Kinu.
Osku

GregoryJ

#58: Post by GregoryJ »

I found that each click on the Apollo gives 30um of burr movement. For reference, I think each click on Kinu M47 is 10um. I think if the Apollo had half the pitch it would be great. I usually did adjustments 2 clicks at a time on the Kinu because 1 click didn't seem to change much!

cooperpwc

#59: Post by cooperpwc »

By contrast, I do not find the clicks on the Apollo to be too far apart at all. I can dial in happily. YMMV.

Ora

#60: Post by Ora »

If only it wasnt eternally sold out