BPLUS Apollo manual hand grinder - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#41: Post by spressomon »

I've used my new Apollo grinder a few times and overall I really like it for my application: Mobile use. My only little wish: Finer thread pitch for the burr adjuster for all things espresso. The difference between an integer is BIG!
No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#42: Post by spressomon »

So, I e-mailed Neo Chen at BPlus with my little critique and wish for finer pitch, espresso specific, threads for the burr shaft/adjustment and he said it would be easy enough. More to follow, hopefully.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
GregoryJ

#43: Post by GregoryJ replying to spressomon »

Nice, thanks for keeping us posted!

HappyDaisy

#44: Post by HappyDaisy »

So. I've been dialing in by using the numbers aligned with what looks like a little screw (found the line now) . The grinder is locked at around 4.2-4.4 (9.2-9.4) and 14 grams works well at around the 2.2 (7.2) mark with the cafelat robot. Just wandering if all the grinders are aligned the same way or does it depend on how it is assembled.

Edit : after reading replies I just add 5 to my numbers

spressomon

#45: Post by spressomon »

I have what appears to be an etched vertical bar index/reference mark on mine...
No Espresso = Depresso

GregoryJ

#46: Post by GregoryJ »

Yes the alignment mark is very faint, but if you get the light to catch it the right way it's easily seen.

jpender

#47: Post by jpender »

spressomon wrote:I've used my new Apollo grinder a few times and overall I really like it for my application: Mobile use. My only little wish: Finer thread pitch for the burr adjuster for all things espresso. The difference between an integer is BIG!
Is this something everybody using this grinder agrees with? I hadn't heard this complaint elsewhere.

Advertisement
GregoryJ

#48: Post by GregoryJ »

For espresso, I wouldn't mind having ~twice as many steps to choose from, but don't need it. But I am using it with a manual machine so it's easy to adjust my force. If I were using a pump machine it may be a bigger issue.

davidhunternyc

#49: Post by davidhunternyc »

Hello, I've been using, for some time now, the Rosco Mini Mill hand grinder. It's beautiful, hand made from solid brass, but has a design flaw. The locknut is very sensitive and can seize up with the body. Today I tried to change the grinder settings on it and I could not get the locknut loose. Maybe it's because it is hot and humid at the moment. I'm tired of battling with the Rosco Mini Mill and I want to move on. As of August 2019 is the Apollo Mill or the Kenu M47 the best hand held manual grinder I can buy? Is there anything else you would recommend? Thanks.

ira
Team HB

#50: Post by ira »

You might consider trying to find a thin plastic washer and put it between the nut and whatever it tightens against. That might solve the problem you're having.

Ira