BPLUS Apollo manual hand grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yakster

Postby yakster » Jan 08, 2019, 9:38 pm

Looking forward to it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

spressomon

Postby spressomon » replying to yakster » Jan 08, 2019, 11:52 pm

+1
No Espresso = Depresso

adyu

Postby adyu » Apr 13, 2019, 10:02 pm

I did some basic particle-size analysis using my Kruve sieves and a 3D-printed set of tiers that lets me use all six at once. I chose two sizes that seemed to work well for a pourover - 16.5 notches from zero - and espresso - 9 notches from zero. All experiments were done with Decaf Los Idolos from George Howell (since I didn't want to waste it and I wanted to sleep at night) using RDT

The Apollo is the first high-end grinder I've owned, so I don't really have a point of reference. I should also note that there are some flaws with my methodology - fines got caught more readily in the edges of my 3D-printed Kruve holder, and they tend to stick to the bottom of each sieve as well. I tried my best to make sure they made it as far as they could.

If people find this interesting, I can do things right with replicates and error measurements and all that. I'm also open to suggestions on other ways to test it.

I just realized I left out the sub-200μM fines - but they were negligible at both settings, 0.23g and 0.08g at 16.5 and 9 notches from 0, respectively.

devlin2427

Postby devlin2427 » Apr 17, 2019, 2:24 am

There's no point sieving at finer settings since most of the fines will stick to the larger particles.

Also the grind distribution depends a lot on the roast level, grinding speed and consistency and, of course, alignment.

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Apr 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Every time I've checked their website they have been "sold out". Are these made in small batches or are they still tweaking the design/construction?
No Espresso = Depresso

adyu

Postby adyu » Apr 17, 2019, 11:45 am

devlin2427 wrote:There's no point sieving at finer settings since most of the fines will stick to the larger particles.

Also the grind distribution depends a lot on the roast level, grinding speed and consistency and, of course, alignment.

Can you link me to a source on that? My experience has been that roast level and grinding speed are having an, at most, 5% variation in grind distribution. My distributions have been largely reproducible between beans and grinding speed (SD 0.7g at 400 microns using a 25g dose, n = 6 varieties of beans between medium and dark roast levels with between 1 to 3 replicates each). It's true that my testing method likely lacks the resolution to capture the true distribution of changes, but I'm skeptical on how substantial a difference such fine differences would make. I think it's more likely that different roast levels benefit from different particle sizes.

Alignment is factory alignment, which IMO is a valuable metric to assess.

adyu

Postby adyu » Today, 9:23 am

spressomon wrote:Every time I've checked their website they have been "sold out". Are these made in small batches or are they still tweaking the design/construction?

They're small batches, I think, but I also suspect they're holding stock. I ordered mine about a month ago, and I emailed them about changing the color because I changed my mind last second. None of the colors were sold out at the time, so I figured they could - and they did, but then they marked all colors as sold out the same day.

Yesterday, they had a listing for Apollo Hand Grinder - Korea Expo with no option to purchase that's gone today, so I'm guessing they pulled all stock so they could display and sell them at the expo.

It seems like a bit of a bad move for popularizing the grinder, since they totally missed their new release + Coffeegeek M47 comparison momentum, but maybe it was never intended for large-scale production or distribution.

I was able to compare it to the Commandante C40 the other day. The Commandante outperformed it in distribution for coarse grinds, but the Apollo had the edge for Espresso. I can't say it made a huge difference to the flavor profile, though, but maybe my palate isn't sensitive enough.

The Apollo is considerably harder to turn, but it only took ~20-25 seconds for 18g of beans at Espresso settings while it took the Commandante ~35-40 seconds. I really enjoy the amount of effort it takes to turn the Apollo though - it's really nice tactile feedback.

spressomon

Postby spressomon » replying to adyu » Today, 9:45 am

Thank you for your info! They got back to me yesterday and stated they will have some units available for purchase near the end of the month.

I have a Feldgrind but it takes 80 revs to get ~18g of espresso and its just too many. When using the Apollo I'll primarily be using dark or medium-dark beans that are easier (relative) to grind. Hoping the Apollo makes quick and relatively easy work of it...
No Espresso = Depresso