Trying few grinders: Fellow Ode gen 2, Opus, Wilfa Uniform+ - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#21: Post by Jonk »

The cause for my misfortune were the metal threads. Aluminium I think? They were not smooth, but blothy and jagged. I was certainly careful.

I think it's a better idea to just leave the factory setting alone. Perhaps don't even clean it.. :wink:

Sugarbeet (original poster)

#22: Post by Sugarbeet (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:The cause for my misfortune were the metal threads. Aluminium I think? They were not smooth, but blothy and jagged. I was certainly careful.
Now I'm confused :shock: I suspect some things were changed or I'm misunderstanding, because the only threads in aluminium (other the ones holding burrs) are the big diameter square profile thread that makes the grind size adjustment happen. BTW it's a first time I'm seeing a square profile thread used in something like a grinder. It's usually found in vices etc. But I suppose it is useful because ground coffee can easily get into it.

Cross threading that huge thread seems difficult .

I'm attaching some pictures I made when cleaning. I can't take any more because the grinder is on its way back, but it hopefully will allow is to determine if things were changed recently and to judge visible build quality.

I wish I took some pictures when using the scale. It could be a really good scale if they make it 0.1g rather than current 0.5g (readout 0.1g, but repeatability only 0.5g). For me and my pretty small doses (sometimes even 7g) 0.5g is useless. But I did like the "user interface" of the scale. It has the power button, a scale button and a timer button. Power switches off/on, the scale button resets the "tare", time button starts/resets the timer. The battery hasn't gone 1% lower during the the week of daily use so I think it will probably last 6 months + between charging. If that scale was 0.1g and could count down, not just up with an alarm, the decision to send it back would be really difficult.

In the end Opus won me on taste primarily.

This the overall view:

Immediately after opening the top. Burrs visible.

Top simply loosens by turning to more coarse grinds then comes off after turning more.

Looking inside from the top.

And with the moving burr removed. The threads were cleaned a lot more after I took this photo.

Top burr carrier, zero adjustment and hopper.

Showing these square profile threads:

Burr carrier unscrewed showing plastic threads that set the zero.

Showing the hopper made of plastic. Scratches are visible on a photo, but they are really not noticeable in person unless you're looking for them.

Showing the galvanised steel grounds bin that I found doesn't have any problems wits static and it's plastic cover on the left.

Grinder with grounds bin removed.

And with the grounds bin reinstalled.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by PIXIllate »

The title of this thread should really be changed.

Sugarbeet (original poster)

#24: Post by Sugarbeet (original poster) replying to PIXIllate »

I haven't realised I can change the thread's subject... It is now changed.