Best upgrade for Mazzer Mini doser

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Belbo

#1: Post by Belbo »

Hi,

I have a Mazzer mini doser grinder with the standard 58mm flat burrs. What would be the best upgrade for this grinder in-terms of better taste in the cup (my preference is lighter roasts). I'm considering the following (and some comments from my research):
1) 64mm SSP burrs (especially the new Cast ones): as far as I understand it here there are potentially problems with the motor stalling.
2) 64mm Italmil Food Friendly: would these be an upgrade and can they run without problems on the doser Mazzer mini?
3) standard 64mm burrs upgrade: these can work without any problems based on my reading.
4) 58mm SSP burrs: these should work without any stalling based on what I've read on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

Sell the Mazzer and buy another better grinder, especially if you like light roasts. The Mazzer will give all kind of problems due to the motor not being capable enough. The cheapest upgrade would be buying a Super Jolly doser and converting that with SSP burrs as it's motor is much more capable. Everything else will set you back much more but will result in a better grinder.
★ Helpful

palica

#3: Post by palica »

The mini A and B have the same motor but with 64 mm burrs so not sure you will stall the Mini Doser with 64 mm burrs, but you will need to change the top and bottom burr holder which will be expensive so the best is probably to get a SJ or another grinder with 64 mm burrs.

Belbo (original poster)

#4: Post by Belbo (original poster) »

Thanks both for your answers but I would appreciate if you could comment on my 4 options and what would be preferable, thanks again!

palica

#5: Post by palica »

Well, as I said, the 3 first option will not fit unless you purchase 2 burr holders which is too expensive IMO, if you add that to the cost of the new burrs.

The option # 3 is the least expensive but very few people went this direction and I have no idea about the results you will have with SSP 58 mm burrs in a Mazzer Mini.

This is why I suggested to go with a native 64 mm grinder, like a Mazzer SJ.

You also have the DF64 which gives excellent results, especially in its latest version. For the cost of 2 sets of SSP 64 mm burrs, you can buy a grinder with very decent SS burrs.

Belbo (original poster)

#6: Post by Belbo (original poster) replying to palica »

Hi, the cost of the burr carriers is 150 Euros roughly which is not too expensive. Also the DF64 is using 64mm Italmil stock burrs (Food Friendly or similar), cost is 50 Euros, which I can install to the Mazzer for a total cost of 200 Euros.

JamesB517

#7: Post by JamesB517 »

erik82 wrote:Sell the Mazzer and buy another better grinder, especially if you like light roasts. The Mazzer will give all kind of problems due to the motor not being capable enough. The cheapest upgrade would be buying a Super Jolly doser and converting that with SSP burrs as it's motor is much more capable. Everything else will set you back much more but will result in a better grinder.
This is definitley the best option IMO.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

palica

#8: Post by palica »

For a 200 Euros investment, you will have a used doser Mazzer, which is not really practical in home use, I would rather sell the Mazzer for 150/200 Euros and buy a DF64 or another grinder (why not a Mazzer SJ for a little bit more than the cost of a used Mazzer mini? But you need to add the cost to modify it to a single dose).
Now, apparently you do not listen to what we are all saying so I let you take your decision. :D

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

Or, you sell the mini, and buy a Major, mod it to lose the doser and hopper and add some SSP burrs and be happy for the rest of your life...
A used Major should not set you back by more than an additional 150 or so, these things are built like tanks and if the ball bearings are not shot it'll outlive you and so will the SSP burrs.
LMWDP #483

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

I was not impressed by the Mazzer Mini burrs compared to an early Baratza Vario (ceramic burrs) on c. 2005 American espresso blends. I don't think I'd pick the ceramic Vario burrs against today's options, including the Vario steel burrs. I don't think there's a lot to gain in the cup with stock or similar cuts on the Mini or even SJ. Some of the 64 mm options may appeal to you more, depending on what you value in the cup. DF64 or used SJ, "pick your poison". Either has its faults and risks.