The best thick body 64mm flat burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DavC

#1: Post by DavC »

Hi,
I understand that majority of enthusiasts are after the clarity and maybe light roast. But after awhile using df64 even with ssp cast burrs, I'm really missing the thick/syrupy /chocolate texture of say the varios/niche profiles for my milk drinks.
Does anyone know of any 64mm burrs with that can fit the df64? Many thanks

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Have you tried the original burrs?

I believe any burrs compatible with a Mazzer Super Jolly would fit.

Trading with an individual for a Niche Zero might be an option as well.

boren

#3: Post by boren »

If you normally like the resulting coffee from your grinder but want an occasional full-body shot, consider adding a conical grinder, even a manual one.

ethiopianbuffman

#4: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

I would use the Mazzer or the original Itamill burrs which are more body/espresso focused and less clarity.

GDK

#5: Post by GDK »

DavC wrote:Hi,
I understand that majority of enthusiasts are after the clarity and maybe light roast. But after awhile using df64 even with ssp cast burrs, I'm really missing the thick/syrupy /chocolate texture of say the varios/niche profiles for my milk drinks.

I would not be surprised if majority of the readers here are after the good body more traditional espresso but in is not "modern" hence not as much discussion ;) As John (from Decent) said it in one of his articles, the experts he talks to have eventually admitted they are brew coffee fans first. High clarity espresso in closer to what they like most.

I would wait for reviews on the soon to come Option-o burrs, just in case.

iyayy

#6: Post by iyayy »

i've been playing around with my arco.. had a 1zpresso k for a year alrdy.
i pulled a 1.4 shot with 1zp(brew focused) and a 1:2.2 shot with arco (italmill), both hand grind with same beans, all settings same except grind.
the 1:2.2 shot on italmill is still much much more viscous and thick compared to the 1.4 ristretto with k burr(brew) despite being a longer shot with more liquid. i'll have to add water to make it 1:3 to come close to the liquidity of the ristretto brew.
waiting for my df64 ssp mp to play further, but i'd figure i'll get same results, with df64 being most liquid.

TigerStripes

#7: Post by TigerStripes »

I've used the ssp 64mm high uniformity espresso burrs extensively. They provide thick body shots like a conical burr does. If you want tasty syrup shots - that's your burr set.
LMWDP #715

LObin

#8: Post by LObin »

In my DF64, I have tried so far these burrs:
- Stock TiN Italmill
- 64mm Foot Friendly (Duramill)
- Multi-purpose
- High Uniformity

Out of these, I would absolutely recommend the Food Friendly burrs for the price and thick, sweet cups.
https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/Ma ... -2608.aspx

I'm sure you'd be happy as well with the Italmill's or even High Uniformity.
LMWDP #592
★ Helpful

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by DamianWarS »

DavC wrote:Hi,
Probably most compatible 64mm burrs from Italian manufacturers will fit this profile you're chasing and Mazzer might be the best fit. The niche has mazzer conical burrs and certainly conical is not the same as flat but using the same manufacturer may get you to a similar profile if we assume mazzer is trying to get a similar profile across their grinders.