Best hand vacuum to clean burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

Looking for the best hand vac (or dust buster???) to clean burrs on my Rocket Faustino grinder. Thanks for any help.

BodieZoffa

#2: Post by BodieZoffa »

The 'best' is like anything else in daily life as we all have different uses, expectations, budget, etc. I've used several different hand sized vacuums over the years and was recently looking for something I can use daily for my setup. I use it to clean out grinders, around the coffee cart, my vehicle, furniture, etc. A bit pricey, but very nicely made and by far the best feature I've found is the filter design as it captures all debris without affecting the flow rate and none of that debris ever makes it to the final 'polishing' filter so no clogs, etc. Of course there are cheaper/smaller options, but you generally get what you pay for and finely ground coffee can/will clog cheaper designs and affect performance/longevity. Also really like that this type has replaceable battery packs as previous devices I used had the battery built into the circuitry and not really user replaceable within reason.

https://hoover.com/products/onepwr-blade-auto-vac

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to BodieZoffa »

Thanks, yeah more than what I wanted to pay for. I know with my last grinder, I used a little tool & toothbrush with my former Vario. I had seen a video where it looked like the person was using what reminded me of the old dustbusters.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Do you have access to an air compressor? You might want to consider blowing (outside for less mess) instead of sucking.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to jbviau »

No, I don't. Hopefully, I won't have a ton of coffee to remove. I basically use it once a day---(rarely a little more) about 34-36 grams a day. Bad thing is, haven't cleaned it since I got the grinder a year ago.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

The best is a Dyson handheld, but they're a stupid amount of money. I have a V7, it's the only handheld battery operated vacuum I've seen that actually has a reasonable amount of suction and a filter that essentially doesn't clog and is easy to clean when it does. And I've tried a number of others that claim to be good and they just don't compare.

Ira

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

I use the Dyson handheld as well...but found the suction head too large to get close enough to the burrs to do a good job vacuuming up the grit. What I do to solve this problem is insert a large (3/8") plastic straw into the suction head so as to reach deeper into the burr chamber and discharge chute (or doser if the grinder has one). Works great. And I don't like the idea of using compressed air to blow out the grounds that theoretically and depending on how your grinder is built risks blowing grit into parts of the machine where it could do harm.

8bits

#8: Post by 8bits »

I can thoroughly recommend the Xiaomi handheld vacuum cleaner. I have it for 2 years, and it's super good for all sort of house and car cleaning. It is light, suction is very very good, a full charge lasts quite a bit on max setting, and most importantly it is a fraction of what a Dyson costs. Also it comes with lots of head accessories that are usefull.
The only downside is that the battery is not replaceble, so if you happen to drain a full battery while cleaning you are out of luck and have to wait to recharge it.

I use it very often with my Lagom P64 and it cleans it very well, so in regards to cleaning the burr compartment of your grinder I give it an A for sure.

#9: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to 8bits »

Do you have a model #? I looked this up & it came up with a larger vacuum cleaner. Thanks.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by LBIespresso »

I have one of these:

https://us.baseus.com/p/baseusa3-car-va ... -silver-43

I got it as a gift and continue to be very impressed with how good it is. I'll spare you the superlatives and just say that if mine ever breaks I will be getting another one. But the build quality makes me think that won't happen for years.
LMWDP #580