Best Conical

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bachampion
Sponsor

#1: Post by bachampion »

I'n not looking to but one, I'm just researching grinder design. Looking at what people think is the best Conical grinder money can buy...

The best flats seem to be the Mythos, EK43 and Peak, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also if there is a new grinder coming out that has potential to be the best please post it here.
Decent Espresso

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

Probably Monolith Conical.

bachampion (original poster)
Sponsor

#3: Post by bachampion (original poster) »

From what I have read its that or the K30, hoping there are others out there as well.

Seems apart from the Sette, conicals are basically the same design (motor on the botom driving the cone burr, with a side discharge). Seems the flats have other design features like angled burrs, level burrs, even a heater in the Mythos.
Decent Espresso

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by RockyIII »

Two words: Mazzer Robur.

Rocky

*sigh*

#5: Post by *sigh* »

bachampion wrote:From what I have read its that or the K30, hoping there are others out there as well.

Seems apart from the Sette, conicals are basically the same design (motor on the botom driving the cone burr, with a side discharge). Seems the flats have other design features like angled burrs, level burrs, even a heater in the Mythos.
K30 or the K10? The K30 is a flat.

The K10/E10/F10 is up there, so is the monolith and the robur. There's not really a "best" with these things. Some are better than others but a lot is personal preference and what the planned usage is.

bachampion (original poster)
Sponsor

#6: Post by bachampion (original poster) replying to *sigh* »

Sorry the K10.

Yes I agree that nothing is best, I just trying to see what designs works.
Decent Espresso

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by RockyIII »

*sigh* wrote:K30 or the K10? The K30 is a flat.

The K10/E10/F10 is up there, so is the monolith and the robur. There's not really a "best" with these things. Some are better than others but a lot is personal preference and what the planned usage is.
Agreed. I said Mazzer Robur, but I would never dream of having such a huge grinder at home. The KafaTek Monolith Conical is certainly an outstanding grinder with a growing user base, and for single dosing home use I don't think it can be beat. I would not want to use it in a busy coffee shop though.

Rocky

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#8: Post by mivanitsky »

I've had RoburE, KonyE, and replaced them with Monoliths. Grind quality is equal among them all, but I prefer the workflow with the Monoliths for single dosing.

Tolis85

#9: Post by Tolis85 »

As I have been researching the conical grinder market lately in order to upgrade mine, I realised that there is a huge gap for home users. You have the small ones with 38mm(ascaso,lelit etc),then comes the bezzera with 48mm but a really small motor(100w) and after that you must either get the massive k10 with the tunnels,dosers,brushes etc or as mentioned before pay a lot more for a robur or Kony which again are not suited for single dosing. So it seems that there is no option available for someone who is not willing to pay more than 1000 but still wants a single dosing big conical burr grinder. Unless of course you dont mind manuals,which I dont and probably will go for a Kinu M68.
Its kinda weird that a home oriented grinder(monolith) is so much more expensive than a grinder that is made to grind several kgs each day(lets say k10). The cost of precision and limited demand I guess

malling

#10: Post by malling »

The best conical is the one that is most precisely aligned. Of all those conical grinders in existence the Monolith is really the only model where you get a guarantee that it is well aligned. It is pure luck and somhow a gamble with any other conical model, you might get lucky, but then again you might not!

That means that a Robur ain't any better then a k10, not even close or for that matter any other large conical. The best of the pack would always be the better aligned one. To be honest some of the worst shots I have gotten from well renowned coffee shop has been from a Robur!