Best 68mm conical replacement burrs for Monolith?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
3cordcreations

#1: Post by 3cordcreations »

Hello, :?:

I have a pre-owned Monolith conical with the 68mm burrs. I tried doing a search on here but no results came up.
I found some red speed burrs for the Compak that may fit but not sure. I can't tell how good these original burrs are but if I need to replace at some point, does anyone have recommendations? Also, does replacing burrs mean they need aligned for best performance? I wouldn't know how to do that on a Monolith.
Thanks!
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

stherric

#2: Post by stherric »

I believe they are the same as the compak k10 burrs.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

The Compak burrs will fit.

No need for additional alignment. You need to check quality of the burrs, though. Denis rejected >50% of Compak Red Speeds due to poor burr manufacture. He went to another manufacturer, with higher quality control, and now also offers Mazzer burrs in the 71mm grinders as well.

3cordcreations (original poster)

#4: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:The Compak burrs will fit.
Ok, the redspeed or standard steel? I wouldn't want to replace with standard steel unless they were higher quality than stock. Denis says Mazzers are better quality than Italian made ones...

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#5: Post by mivanitsky »

I edited my post.

There are no 68mm Mazzer conical burrs.

Why do you want to replace the burrs you have? There is no difference in the cup.

#6: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Right, I know there are none in 68, he was just stating he thinks Mazzer burrs are better. The new MC3 with 71 do have the option for Mazzer.
I may not change now but hard to tell if they are still sharp enough. Besides feeling the burrs, do people just time a dose to know if they are dull? I have no idea how much coffee has gone through this.

nuketopia

#7: Post by nuketopia »

If you need replacement burrs, then just order a set from Kafatek. They're not unreasonably priced and they'll be qc'd by the maker of the grinder.

When I clean my MC, I take some steps to be sure the mating surfaces of the upper plate and grind chamber are scrupulously clean and free of any particles or specs of coffee. That's the secret of keeping it in alignment. I'm not above using a tack cloth or masking tape on the sticky side to pickup any tiny particles and look it over with a magnifying glass before assembly.

If there is need of any other alignment, Denis can advise you directly.

#8: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) replying to nuketopia »

Thanks. I'm familiar with the burrs offered on the Kafatek store. I am just asking if there are better burrs out there as a replacement.

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

Have you tried contacting SSP? They might have a few options in 68mm.
LMWDP #592

#10: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) replying to LObin »

I have not. I did look on their site though.