Bentwood Vertical 63

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
streezz

#1: Post by streezz »

Hello everybody

Some weeks ago I have purchased a fantastic grinder from a Swiss-based start-up company. It's the brand new grinder Vertical 63 from Bentwood.

As the name is already mentioning, the burrs are oriented in vertical position and of diameter 63mm.

The grinder can be used for any kind of coffee extraction method, e.g. espresso, filter, cupping etc.

You can use it as a single dose grinder or grind by time (2 times programmable).

There are some nice innovative features like:
- burr set without screw holes on blades side (fixed from the back)
- coffee grind chute with vibration motor to help reduce the coffee retention -> my tests shown that the retention is about 0.1 to 0.4g, depending on the coffee and roast degree
- silent motor with active ventilation
- easy to adjust grind size --> scale in „microns"
- hopper & lid with sealing
- customizable wood panels
- portafilter-holder which can be easily removed
- intuitive menu to adjust grind time, vibration time and vibration intensity of the chute

Taste-wise I think it is for sure above the Mahlkoenig EK43, unfortunately at home I have no possibilities to make a comparison. I can only recall back to some shots from my previous Baratza Sette and the in-cup quality with the Bentwood grinder is far beyond.

What I know from the coffee community is that it was recently used at several barista and brewer championships with great success.

I am not involved into the business of Bentwood but I believe this company has potential for the future and therefore I am trying with this post to make this fantastic grinder more popular for the advanced home-user.
So give it a try and get in touch with www.bentwoodcoffee.ch, I am sure they have now a full stock to serve you with grinders as coffee shops do not invest a lot at the moment due to the actual circumstances with the virus (Corona), at least in Switzerland...

All the best,
streezz :mrgreen:

devlin2427

#2: Post by devlin2427 »

Retail price, picture of burrs? I think these are pretty important details...

streezz

#3: Post by streezz »

Dear Dev

I have just disassembled the burrs which is pretty easy you just need a screwdriver with Phillips drive.
Then following 3 steps:
1. Release bajonet of interface disc and disconnect wires.
2. unscrew 3 screws of interface support
3. unscrew rim (grind setting adjustment)
4. pull out carrier with burr disc (fix)

Please find below two pictures of the burrs.

B2C price is EUR 2'590 net.

all the best,
streezz :mrgreen:

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

Except for the missing screw holes those burrs look pretty ordinary to be honest.

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by emradguy »

streezz wrote:Taste-wise I think it is for sure above the Mahlkoenig EK43, unfortunately at home I have no possibilities to make a comparison. I can only recall back to some shots from my previous Baratza Sette and the in-cup quality with the Bentwood grinder is far beyond.
This is illogical.

You can't say it's better than the EK43, and then say you can't compare the two...and then justify that by comparing it to your memory of a Sette. Well, you can say whatever you want...but it's misleading and unfounded given your path of reason.

cdo

#6: Post by cdo »

For 2600 Euro you would also think they would go into a bit more detail on their website, they don't really mention much of anything about the grinder.

shadowzenith

#7: Post by shadowzenith »

streezz wrote: Taste-wise I think it is for sure above the Mahlkoenig EK43, unfortunately at home I have no possibilities to make a comparison. I can only recall back to some shots from my previous Baratza Sette and the in-cup quality with the Bentwood grinder is far beyond.
The grinder looks great from a design and practical perspective but the above comment probably will not sit well with anyone. You cant say it is better than an EK43 without actually able to do a side by side comparison using the same coffees (basically a claim needs to be backed up by some sort of tangible data however subjective that may be).

Anyhow, thanks for surfacing this grinder once again and for this review since there's almost no news of it after HOST last year. :)

guydebord
Supporter

#8: Post by guydebord »

Its seems bloody expensive for an uncoated 63mm burr grinder. That's Monolith Flat and EK territory...
BTW, the burrs look quite rough...

I do love the analogue adjustment scale, I wish there were more details in the website.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Jake_G
Team HB

#9: Post by Jake_G »

It's a neat looking grinder that is fitted with somewhat typical espresso burrs. I do like that the breaker teeth evenly subdivide the fine teeth as well as the analog readout of burr position. The burr design has potential to be somewhat more uniform than your typical burr, but I would be quite surprised if they yielded low fines.

However, this:
is a strong indicator that the burrs are not coplanar.

Why so few companies take the time to ensure their grinders are assembled in a precision state is beyond me. :roll:

Cheers!

- Jake

malling

#10: Post by malling »

shadowzenith wrote:The grinder looks great from a design and practical perspective but the above comment probably will not sit well with anyone. You cant say it is better than an EK43 without actually able to do a side by side comparison using the same coffees (basically a claim needs to be backed up by some sort of tangible data however subjective that may be).

Anyhow, thanks for surfacing this grinder once again and for this review since there's almost no news of it after HOST last year. :)
As usual the poster can't even back it up with a decent side by side comparison, or as the bare minimum back it up with prior owners experience. But why should that stop anyone these days, It seem to be a trend the last few years to "bash" the ek to make a new grinder look better then it really is, even though said person who rave about his and hers new purchase never had any experience with the ek. It's tiresome to the point where you just give up.

For crying out loud, they could not even align the bloody thing, I have seen many EK the last few years, but never one where it where so obviously badly aligned.

I'm sure It could be a great product, but that alignment (or lack thereof), and the choice of those tiny burrs at that price point isn't aspiring. If I had to pay those kind of money (again) I would at least expect to get one of those things right from the start.

And for a company who wants to take on Mazzer zm (especially when it look so much alike) and Mahlkonig that's quite essential to get right from the start. Although there is some nice things about those burrs, they don't particularly strike me as high quality nor is the solutions innovative in any way, "screw less" burrs has been in production for more than a decade, and motorised chute sweeper and similar solution is also nothing new, but nice to see them in this price range. However it shouldn't be necessary on a horizontal mounted burr set where the chute typically sits right under the two burrs.