Bentwood Vertical 63 - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Eiern

#61: Post by Eiern »

What's in the base, nothing?

Jeff
Team HB

#62: Post by Jeff »

Power supply, control board, and a couple fans in the pedestal.

The fans are apparently temperature-switched on 230 V units and always on for 120 V ones. It is straightforward to unplug the fans.

(I don't have solid enough opinions on mine to make public, with all the craziness of the holidays and COVID.)

braxtonjens

#63: Post by braxtonjens »

I saw on GHBS website the BZ63 burrs for sale....
What I am wondering is if i can retrofit them into one of my 64 mm grinders. Something that uses 64 mm SJ burrs and Fellow Ode (v1.1) burrs.

Anyone know if the mounting holes are the same as SJ burrs? I know they screw in from the back, so I would just use the mounting holes in the carriers to mount these.

Just thinking out loud,
if anyone has info first hand or info from Bentwood about the burr dimensions.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

drH

#64: Post by drH »

LewBK wrote:Why are some of the best grinders always gigantic? You'd have to build a separate coffee shed or addition to your home to house this thing. Also, I wish grinder manufacturers would state how tall their grinders are without their hoppers and what the height would be with, say, a single dose bellows.

Totally sympathize with this. Unless you have a dedicated espresso bar, most of these titan grinders will never fit in with the aesthetic of a modern kitchen. With custom short hoppers you might squeeze one under a cabinet but everyone will always wonder "what is that thing, some kind of industrial juicer?"
I think this is another reason why Monoliths do well. Yes, they have an industrial look, but they are small compared to the competition.

truemagellen

#65: Post by truemagellen »

braxtonjens wrote:I saw on GHBS website the BZ63 burrs for sale....
What I am wondering is if i can retrofit them into one of my 64 mm grinders. Something that uses 64 mm SJ burrs and Fellow Ode (v1.1) burrs.

Anyone know if the mounting holes are the same as SJ burrs? I know they screw in from the back, so I would just use the mounting holes in the carriers to mount these.

Just thinking out loud,
if anyone has info first hand or info from Bentwood about the burr dimensions.
If I recall size was different but could be overcome with some milling...the critical issue is the lack of auger feed on those grinders to prebreak, beans likely won't feed well or not at all with these burrs. Maybe in a zerno?

ron231

#66: Post by ron231 »

GarethM wrote:I was the one who sold the EG-1, so I can clear things up here.

The EG-1 is a great grinder and I was on the fence between that and Bentwood before I purchased the EG-1. I used the Core burrs 90% of the time, as they work well (flavour-wise) for both espresso and filter. I also had the Ultra Low Fines burrs, but I only used them when I really wanted to dive specifically into pour-overs for an extended period.

The main issue I had with the EG-1, was that moving from filter to espresso grind sizes with the Core burrs was a bit annoying. The grinder would lock every couple hundred microns (with the motor running), meaning I had to purge some beans once or twice before getting to the desired espresso setting. I hate wasting coffee.

This could have just been me, or it's a wider workflow issue. I don't know. I'm picky.

Annoyance with the filter/espresso workflow plus curiosity got the better of me, so I went to check out the Bentwood at the UK distributor.

I used it for a couple of hours for espresso (on an Eagle One Prima) and filter and I was impressed by the workflow and the quality of the coffee. The espresso was excellent, we had Square Mile La Cuesta (which I'm familiar with) and it tasted like dessert. Now people get carried away with the flavour descriptions, but the shots literally tasted like roasted almonds and chocolate - zero bitterness or acidity. It wasn't even 'dialled in perfectly'.

The filter was made with La Cabra Java and tasted pretty similar to the EG-1 with ultra burrs installed. Tons of sweetness and clarity.

I didn't base my decision off of one or two shots, lol.

I was seriously impressed by the Bentwood, enough to sell my EG-1. I'm a few days into having the Bentwood in my house (seasoned with 5kg of defect roast and paired with the DE-1 Pro v1.4) and I don't miss the EG-1 at all. My espresso has never tasted better and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with pour-overs compared to the Ultra Low Fines burrs.

Wow dude, youre making me consider getting this instead of EK+SSP

flip

#67: Post by flip »

Are you using both the Bentwood and the P64 for espresso? How can you compare then?

Randy G.

#68: Post by Randy G. »

Zoom in on the burrs. I am glad he likes the grinder, but burrs of that 'quality' do not reflect that price point. Do those burrs look familiar to anyone, or do you think they are made to order or in house?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

coffeeOnTheBrain

#69: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to Randy G. »

The burrs were designed for the Bentwood.

Primacog

#70: Post by Primacog »

It has a unique feature in thw vibrating chute etc.

However the biggest issue is its price level that pits it against the likes of the Weber EG-1, Titus Nautilus and Monolith Max that use much larger burrs of 80mm to 98mm....

Apart from that, there will soon exist two different vertically positioned burr grinders of 64mm that are much cheaper than the bentwood. The bentwood does not even have variable rpm motor.
Furthermore, like it or not, it's burr size sits in the most highly competitive burr size category of all with a large range of competitors in the 64mm flat burr category that are much cheaper. For instance I could buy almost 7 DF64 grinders equipped with whatever SSP burrs I wanted for the price of one bentwood 63.

Ultimately for me, even if my budget could accommodste the vertical 63, the price makes it a difficult one to consider...
LMWDP #729