Bentwood Vertical 63 - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GarethM
Supporter

#51: Post by GarethM »

I was the one who sold the EG-1, so I can clear things up here.

The EG-1 is a great grinder and I was on the fence between that and Bentwood before I purchased the EG-1. I used the Core burrs 90% of the time, as they work well (flavour-wise) for both espresso and filter. I also had the Ultra Low Fines burrs, but I only used them when I really wanted to dive specifically into pour-overs for an extended period.

The main issue I had with the EG-1, was that moving from filter to espresso grind sizes with the Core burrs was a bit annoying. The grinder would lock every couple hundred microns (with the motor running), meaning I had to purge some beans once or twice before getting to the desired espresso setting. I hate wasting coffee.

This could have just been me, or it's a wider workflow issue. I don't know. I'm picky.

Annoyance with the filter/espresso workflow plus curiosity got the better of me, so I went to check out the Bentwood at the UK distributor.

I used it for a couple of hours for espresso (on an Eagle One Prima) and filter and I was impressed by the workflow and the quality of the coffee. The espresso was excellent, we had Square Mile La Cuesta (which I'm familiar with) and it tasted like dessert. Now people get carried away with the flavour descriptions, but the shots literally tasted like roasted almonds and chocolate - zero bitterness or acidity. It wasn't even 'dialled in perfectly'.

The filter was made with La Cabra Java and tasted pretty similar to the EG-1 with ultra burrs installed. Tons of sweetness and clarity.

I didn't base my decision off of one or two shots, lol.

I was seriously impressed by the Bentwood, enough to sell my EG-1. I'm a few days into having the Bentwood in my house (seasoned with 5kg of defect roast and paired with the DE-1 Pro v1.4) and I don't miss the EG-1 at all. My espresso has never tasted better and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with pour-overs compared to the Ultra Low Fines burrs.
★ Helpful

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Steveholt

#52: Post by Steveholt »

Thanks for the comprehensive and context filled reply.
Sounds like something I'll need to stew on.

GarethM
Supporter

#53: Post by GarethM »

You're welcome!

Always happy to help where I can.

Jeff
Team HB

#54: Post by Jeff »

There's been some questions about the availability of these in the US. They are starting to arrive and I should have one next week. Please give me time to understand it before asking how I like it in comparison to other grinders. The reports I've read suggest that it is excellent for brew. Espresso opinions are early and varied. It is unclear to me how much those opinions are correlated with the level of experience with grinders that "like" fast-flowing shots.

US sales are through GHGBS. They are a commercial supplier, so don't expect a flashy, retail-friendly web site. They have been good to work with for me. https://ghgbs.com/collections/grinders/ ... ertical-63

It is available in white or black, with light or dark wood. From what I understand, they are working to get sufficient stock in the US. There are a number of people waiting for theirs right now.

ethiopianbuffman

#55: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

I haven't done pour over on mine yet as i just got it the other day. I would say the espresso taste different than other grinders. I think espresso is personal taste and there is no really good or bad just different and that is a good thing. I have found that some of my shots have been smoother and more pleasant than something like a Lab Sweet shot which is very viscous. I can drink a shot out of the BW more so than one out of a LS. I think the LS does have better body and is more applicable to milk drinks.

I am still chasing grind settings as grinding the same dose, some tamp, puck screen, etc.. is yielding different shot times. Where as on my MC4, i can go back to back to back and day by day with almost identical shot times. This reminds me of my LS.

GHGBS has white ones in stock i believe (or did) for 2750. I heard through the rumor mill that pricing may setting around 3000-3300, which is more in line with European prices.

Eiern

#56: Post by Eiern »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:I am still chasing grind settings as grinding the same dose, some tamp, puck screen, etc.. is yielding different shot times. Where as on my MC4, i can go back to back to back and day by day with almost identical shot times. This reminds me of my LS.
How much beans have you had through the new Bentwood burrs? Sounds like the burrs aren't fully seasoned and haven't settled quite yet?

ethiopianbuffman

#57: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

They got 15lbs through them so far